Chapter 0.5: Three Years Summed into One Chapter

❀ What do you get when you put two socially awkward kids in a room together?  Absolute Silence

❀ When Hanako and Akira had free time, they would usually stay in silence. Jun or Hayama-Sensei needed to start the conversation for those two to talk.

❀ Hanako was creeped out by Akira's sense of smell when she first found out about it.

❀ Hanako found out about Akira's sense of smell after he asked if she baked banana bread. She thought she had crumbs on her face, but he told her he smelled it on her fingers. She was rightfully creeped out. Jun explained that Akira had a special sense of smell, but it took her a while to get used to it.

❀ Akira was jealous when Hanako joined. She would spend a lot of time with Jun and Hayama-Sensei. He wouldn't admit it, but he was scared that she would replace him. H̷̭̔e̴̢̎ ̵̮͘w̴̙͛a̸̠͋ṡ̵͇ ̶̞͒s̸͕͑c̸̲͗ḁ̵̚r̶͎̋ë̸̢́d̸̩̚ ̵̜́t̸̼̾h̵͇̆a̷̪̚ṱ̴͑ ̴̰́h̶̜̕e̶̻͛ ̷̯͝ẅ̷̨́ǫ̸̀ú̵̯l̴̺̓d̷̢̉ ̶̮͘b̶̛̯ë̸͍́ ̷̦͛a̴̒ͅb̷̟͒a̷̗͊n̸̤̒d̵̺̕o̸̩͛n̷̮̿e̵̼͛d̴̠͒ ̶̨̀a̶͈͂g̴͐ͅḁ̸͑i̴̯͗n̴͊ͅ.̵̥̒ In other words, he didn't like her. (So Hanako's assumption was right...)

❀ He gave Hanako fake smiles and answered some of her questions, but that was pretty much it. It took him a while for him to truly warm up to her.

❀ After a few months, they finally became actual friends. Jun and Hayama-Sensei were so happy that they were getting along.

❀ Akira helped Hanako learn about spices and Hanako helped Akira learn about baking and how to be a kid.

❀ Akira and Hanako played card games together, but Hanako always lost. She asked if they could switch to Uno and he agreed. The current score is 297 wins to 5 losses in Uno. The current score is 3 wins to 371 losses in other card games. Now Akira will say no if she asks to play Uno.

❀ Hanako baked cinnamon-flavored sweets for Akira because she always saw him smelling cinnamon sticks. He wouldn't admit it, but he was getting sick of cinnamon desserts.

❀ One time, Akira got sick and his nose was stuffed. His sense of smell was weakened drastically. He couldn't smell anything and Hanako helped him a lot. Hanako was trying to be helpful, but Akira thought she was taking pity on him. Now he tries to stay in perfect health, so he doesn't have to rely on Hanako. (Hanako thinks Akira is made of magic because he doesn't get sick anymore)

❀ Akira keeps a drawing Hanako made of them in his pocket next to his bag of cinnamon sticks. Sometimes Akira looks at it to make him smile.

  Sometimes Akira looks at it to make him smile