CHAPTER 2 - Bad reputation

Deidara's POV

Sasori no Danna is dead. Deidara thinks as he waits for Kakusu to finish stitching his arms back. So much for eternal art, dumbass. I told you what true art was and you were too arrogant to listen, what's the fun in living forever if you're not going seize the present? If you're not going to burst in a beautiful explo... what's that noise?Oh no, OH NO!

From the entrance of the hideout comes a squeal that has become ever more present in the Iwa nin's routine than he would like. Tobi.

Obito's POV

Things are going well with the plan, the first tailed beast was captured against all odds. To be honest, Obito did not expect Deidara to succeed and Sasori to die like that. The blonde brat has no self-control and no sense of stealth, he is completely out of the loop with his art and anger issues. And the Uchiha has to admit he is pleasantly surprised with his potential. Or maybe he is enjoying making the kid's life into hell a bit too much. Constant nightmares has prevented him from sleeping properly for years now, and everything around him is just so overwhelming. He misses Rin, the old days, his former self. Maybe concentrating energy in his character distracts him from it.

In the past months, he has perfected his skill in acting like Tobi, so much so that he could say and do the most embarrassing things with a straight face behind his mask. Searching new things that trigger Deidara's anger is his favorite pastime, and an easy one. But there are some things that make his senpai extra uncomfortable, and Obito is starting to connect the dots.

He has noticed that when Hidan tells about his disgusting romantic escapades Deidara either leaves the room or hides his face. Or when somebody make a raunchy joke and he loses it, and threatens to kill everybody. So, romance seems to be the sweet spot. Tobi approaches his target and Kakuzu, who are finishing their first aid section in the main living area, starting:

"Sooo dei-dei, is that what a successful mission looks like?" pointing to the stitches.

"The fuck did you just call me, hm?" and bingo, his face is starting to get pink, but that's not enough.

"Whoa, but hey, at least you will attract all sort of ladies with these scars huh?" Tobi prods, but he senses that something is amiss, this didn't have the intended effect. He didn't get any shy or bothered. Well, weird.

Deidara looks at him with an empty gaze and turns his head away.

Anyways, hobbies aside, Obito had decided that Tobi would be taking Sasori's place. He wants to oversee the capture of the sanbi himself and he does not trust Deidara to do that alone or with an unpredictable new member. No, he must step in. Besides, something in that mixture of anger and eyeliner has Obito feeling different, a little bit less miserable. This should be fun.

Deidara's POV

Now that Sasori is dead what will happen to Deidara? Maybe he will be finally free from having to stay in the organization? No, that would be too good to be true. He will probably get a new partner. What kind of people will they be? Maybe another artist? Or someone as cool as him? Someone really handsome? No, no one would be able to surpass his own coolness or his art, or be enough to attract his attention. Kakuzu finishes his stitches and goes away to fetch Hidan, who probably has already gotten in some sort of trouble.

Deidara feels Pain calling him through his chakra. He finds a quiet corner in the hideout and concentrates to make the connection with the leader. Pain starts:

"Deidara, I know you're still recovering from your last battle, but we must assign you to a new partner immediately."

"Yes leader, hm"

"You are already familiar with him, Tobi will be your partner from now on."

NO, NO, NO! Deidara feels his knees buckle at his boss' affirmation.

"Leader I don't th..."

"That will be all, I expect you to behave." And the chakra connection is cut.

As he opens his eyes he is met with Tobi's mask a few inches too close. Deidara pushes his now partner away and tries to get away, but he is interrupted by his screeching voice:

"Have you heard? Dei-dei is now my senpai! Deidara-senpai and Tobi, sitting on a tree..."

"Get the hell away from me freak. I will only warn you once: don't get in my way or else you will see what true art is!" Deidara says between gritted teeth. Now he is stuck with this manchild and he can't even blow him up without getting in trouble with leader. Great.

"See you tomorrow senpai!!!" The honorific basically causes physical pain in the blonde. It's going to be a long day.