CHAPTER 9 - Eyes without a face

Obito's POV

They stayed together the whole night, with Deidara snoring softly in Obito's arms. He could tell that his partner was dreaming, and he mused about what he would dream about. Maybe explosions and swearing at me. The thought of Deidara dreaming about him made him blush.

Obito has never been corresponded in feelings like those, nor has he experienced intimacy like this with someone. He feels lost on what to do next, if he should be more upfront about how he feels to Deidara. But the fear of rejection keeps invading his mind. What if he has a crush on someone else? Like Hidan? He winces at the thought.

Lost in his thoughts, Obito only noticed it was morning when he felt Deidara start moving. The artist rose from the bed and started to make a line for the bedroom door sneakily.

"Up so early senpai?" Tobi provoked.

"I... uh... m'going to take a shower."

"But we don't have any missions today senpai."

"There's something called basic hygiene, have your heard about it, lollypop face?" Deidara turns around "I don't know how you can smell so goo... yeah, gotta go" he stumbles around his words.

To be honest Obito also does not know what to do or say, he also does not know where their relationship stands. Maybe they just shared the bed as friends? Yes, it has to be it. Deidara would never fall for someone like me, that's for sure. His partner got out of the bedroom and Tobi stayed in bed looking at the ceiling. Do I smell good? And of course Obito cried to himself a little in confusion and happiness.

Each stayed in their respective rooms after that, with Obito not wanting to invade Deidara's personal space. As dinnertime approached, he heard a knock on his door. It was the artist, who immediately pulled on Tobi's arm and started heading for the hideout's exit.

"I'm starving, hm. Let's go get some dango on that shop nearby."

"It's not that nearby senpai."

"We can fly, remember?" his senpai said smiling.

Deidara's POV

As they arrived and ordered their food, Deidara was caught up in his own thoughts. Now he was sure of what he was feeling, and that terrified him a little. He has never even kissed someone, for fuck's sake. He did not know how to approach Tobi after being so forward yesterday, and his partner did not seem to catch a hint. Does Tobi even like guys? I know he liked some girl from his response the other day... What if he rejects me? No one rejects me!

Their food arrived and the click clack of the plates on the table awakened the artist.

"You are so quiet senpai." Tobi said pouring sake for both of them.

"Just have some weird stuff on my mind, that's all, hm."

"Hmmm... weird like Tobi?"

Deidara got red from cheek to cheek and downed his drink in one go after that.

"No... dumbass." Was all he could offer as a response. Tobi was smart under that mask, he could not forget about that. "I'm thinking of how much we are going to eat today!" he laughed awkwardly.

Tobi laughed back, asking: "We are totally going to get poor after this" and after a pause, he completed "We're paying right? RIGHT?"

"Yeah sure, Mr. Good boy."

After spending almost their entire salaries on dangos and sake, both of them are walking in the woods. When both almost fell midair from the bird they agreed that walking home was the best option, the hideout was an hour away by foot but the weather was nice today.

As both approached an intersection, Deidara saw something in the corner of his left eye. He was not wearing his scope but it was well trained in seeing long distances. Tobi seemed to notice it too, since he stopped talking and trying to get a hug from the artist. They separated as each jumped on a nearby tree, trying to hide from whoever was following them.

"You're gonna pay for what you did to your sensei" said the masked nin behind him. Deidara only saw the mist headband before getting scratched on the face by a kunai. He jumped back and reached to his clay pouch.

The Iwa nin started bombarding the enemies general direction with small C1 spiders but to no avail. He dodged, fuck. They are fast.

"Earth style bombs, right?" he heard behind him again. This time, when he tried to reach for his clay he was met with a shock. It was full of electricity, rendering it useless. Throwing it away, Deidara grabbed his kunai and avoided an incoming attack by his enemy. The guy was fast and good at his taijutsu, it was a tough battle for the blonde nin.

After several minutes of just counter attacking, Deidara was exhausted. The alcohol in his blood was not helping, his vision was all blurry. As he least expected, he had a kunai on his throat. With bloodshot eyes his enemy laughed at him, saying:

"Is that all you Akatsuki have, what were they thinking hiring a little blondie weakling such as you? Where's your boyfriend?"

Deidara was seething, he was going to kill this guy. As he went to reach for the hidden shuriken on his back, he heard a strange noise. The air twisted behind the enemy and Tobi appeared out of thin air. In the darkness of the night, Deidara could not see much, but he saw one thing.

Behind the mask, Tobi's eyes shone red, forming an unnatural pattern. In an instant, the enemy fell on Deidara's feet dead, his neck broken easily by Tobi's hands.

"Sha- sharingan?" it was all he could muster before running away in fury.