Chapter 3 - Self Control

Deidara's POV

This is supposed to be a simple mission: kill a shinobi from the bingo book, get the reward and get back to headquarters. But for Deidara's luck it started to rain as they got out of the headquarters, and heavily at that. So, using one of his birds was out of question, since they would melt in midflight. Therefore, they have to walk the whole way and Tobi's attitude is only making matters worse.

Why did I expect him to get any better? Deidara ponders. It's their first mission together and Tobi is still doing his best to annoy his partner. He keeps asking personal things to the blonde, such as if he has girlfriend, a boyfriend, if he likes Tobi, if he liked Sasori, what kind of shampoo he uses on his hair, why does use so much eyeliner, etc. This has been going on for hours as they walk to their target's last known location. At first Deidara threw a few bombs to scare the other one away, but to no avail, as he dodged them all. So now, he just walks apathetically trying his best to ignore the whole thing, not daring to look in Tobí's general direction.

Soaked in rain, the pair stops just by a clearing. This was where their target was last seen. He is a mist mercenary who has been causing too much trouble, so the Akatsuki was paid to take care of him, pretty straightforward stuff. Deidara does not know anything about Tobi's combat style, or if he even knows how to fight, so he is all alone in this one. He also is limited to smaller bombs because of the rain and will also have to fight in close combat. His taijutsu is nothing compared to his art, but Iwa's training should be enough for this job. He was the first of his class, after all.

With his scope, he sees movement to his left. That's it. Kunai in mouth, Deidara lunges forward and attacks the merc on the back. As expected, he turns out the be a clone, revealing himself to be a few meters forward by accidentally stepping on a branch. Perfect. Then, the real Deidara comes out, surprising the enemy with an upper kick and a kunai to the heart. The hardest part of the job is done, no thanks to Tobi, who was too busy playing with a ladybug nearby. Tobi screeches while Deidara confirms the target's identity:

"Wow senpai! You make it look so easy!"

"You will be carrying the body, come on, hm"

"But senpai, Tobi is very tired..."

"Shut up, this has already taken too much of my time"

"Oooki doki senpai, but just because you're so pretty~"

This has to be some sort of prank or a façade; no one is this dense on purpose. No, he is doing this to test me in some way, I just know he has to be hiding more than a face behind that mask. Deidara whispers to himself as Tobi tries his best to keep up with his fast pace. He is of the opinion that one would have several inoffensive motives to hide their face, such as being insecure of their looks, but to mask their whole personality as well; it means that something dark is being hidden. He will find out what is going on, one way or another.

Obito's POV

Compliments are not working as well as they used to do. His cheeks get pink and all, but it's not like the rage that Obito seeks after. The kid has a big ego, and Obito hates him for it. His attitude towards everything heavily annoys the masked one, because how dare he act so carefree in a world so terrible and unfair? He deserves what he gets.

They get the according reward for the body at the nearest outpost and keep on walking. It's still raining a lot, and Obito has to admit it is getting on his nerves. The feeling of being soaked is awful and it has his armor scratching on his body in a not so pleasant way. He can't feel physically tired because of the senju cells, but he is emotionally drained, keeping up the persona in such climate really has worn him out. If Deidara gives him another tutorial on how to "act cool" he will jump off from a cliff. He whines in Tobi's voice:

"Senpai, Tobi is so tired, can we stop to sleep a little?"

"No, I want to get back to the hideout as soon as possible, hm"

"But Tobi is all wet from the rain, I have been such a good boy today, pleaaase!"

"You annoyed me all day and didn't help with shit, how have you been a good boy in any way?"

Oh yeah, catching stray kunai that could have killed your dumb ass isn't helpful, alright. Obito snarls to himself. He instead vocalizes:

"Tobi carried our special delivery for senpai!"

Deidara shrugs, but then he places his hands on his face to demonstrate he is thinking:

"Look, I know there is an inn in the next town over, we'll go there. But no individual rooms, Kakuzu is on my ass for those stitches already yeah"

Great, Obito will have to sleep with his wet clothes on. Destiny keeps trying to fuck him up at every corner.

Deidara's POV

Normally sleeping in the same room as Tobi would make Deidara seethe in rage and discomfort, but this time it will work perfectly for his plans.

They approach a small village, small enough that they will not recognize the organization and give them any trouble. After grabbing dinner at a nearby restaurant they go for the nearest inn, a rather sleazy and old building. Both check into their room and Deidara can finally get rid of that damned cloak, who has been soaking wet for hours now. Once he is undressed and has organized all his things in a corner he notices Tobi staring.

"What the fuck you creep, it's rude to stare hm"

"Sorry senpai~"

"By the way, why are you still wearing that?"

"Wearing what deidei?"

"You cloak dumbass, it's soaked yeah"

"Tobi doesn't mind that, Tobi will sleep with his cloak on."

Deidara stares at him. So he wont't even reveal his body. Something is very wrong with this guy, fucked up even. He can only muster up a hum as a response.

After a few minutes Deidara shuts the light in the room and goes to his futon, it has been a long day and he can't way to get some rest, and to...

"Senpai"

"What"

"Tobi wants a bedtime story"

"You can shove it, hm"

"Whoah, are all people from Iwa this impolite?"

Deidara turns his back from Tobi, who is laying in his own futon a few meters to his right.

"Tobi will tell senpai a bedtime story then!"

Deidara's ear twitches, but he does not move.

"Tobi once knew a tiger, that knew a panda, that knew a mantis, that knew an ant. This ant was very lonely because his only friend got caught by a very very mean cicada, his name was..."

Deidara doses off. The only thing he can see is orange swirls and he starts falling, he wakes up scared.

"...And then he traveled through time so he could see her again. The end!" Tobi finishes with a clap.

Deidara pretends he is still asleep and does not move. He controls his breath to keep calm and waits patiently until he hears that Tobi's has fallen into stupor. This is it, my only chance to see what this fucker is hiding.

The blonde moves very slowly, trying not to make any noise. When he finally reaches his partner's futon his heart is almost exploding with anxiety. Tobi is laying down with his face towards the ceiling and with his hands crossed in his chest, like a dead body. Deidara notes that it is a very unusual way to be sleeping, not to even mention his soaking wet clothes. How is he even comfortable like this?

He stares at the mask for a couple of moments before placing his fingers in its edge. He has to muster up a lot of self control to not let his hands make any noise. He starts to raise it, revealing Tobi's mouth. He appears to have scars on a whole side of his face; one even goes through his mouth. Deidara decides to keep on raising the mask, wanting to see the rest of the mistery.

He is too busy entranced with the patterns in Tobi's skin to notice his hand raising. Tobi catches Deidara's hand and sits up, twisting it with unexpected force.