sugar plum

wednesday afternoon 

it was a slow day at work today,, especially since there were no games going on today. today was just full of paperwork and an urge to cancel your "date" with sakusa.

you couldn't lie, this little "date" atsumu set up was the perfect way to get all the awkward firsts (and lasts) out of the way. first time out, first dinner together, and most importantly, first public appearance together. it was an opportunity to get all your jitters out before the party, and an opportunity to know what to do different to seem more "couple-y".

kuroo, your favorite (and only work) husband, he came up to your desk with your favorite bubble tea in his hand and a smirk on his smile. he could obviously tell something was on your mind, after all your face gives it away and kuroo has known you long enough to know when something is up.

you didn't notice him at first, despite him being taller than six freaking feet. he waved your bubble tea in your face, "hey stranger. i got you your weekly bubble tea,, and by weekly i mean three times a week, you freaking addict."

you took your eyes off your computer for the first time in two hours and the words started to blur instantly as your focus went on something else. tetsurou's words caught you off guard, but they weren't completely wrong. like how some people can't start or continue their day without coffee, you were the same with bubble tea and tapioca pearls.

"hi there tetsu!" you took the drink and straw from his hand and poked the straw through the plastic almost immediately, "you look quite dapper today,, what's the occasion? seeing a special someone today?"

he chuckled at you. as much as he wanted to tell you, he knew he couldn't... at least not yet. "well you look quite fine yourself y/n.... and nope, no special someone for me just yet. and you? any potential boyfriends? or girlfriends, which ever one you prefer."

at first, you didn't know how to respond. yes, there was a "potential boyfriend", but he wasn't exactly a "potential boyfriend". all sakusa was, was a fill in to make your ex jealous, and technically it was only for one night,, soooo... there really was no need to tell anyone. after all, people will just find out later tonight. might as well as tell kuroo that little it.

"mm not really. i'm going on a date tonight, and i have no idea how that will go. if i'm being honest, i'm literally so close to canceling it... people might say i'm using my job to get dates with people like him, and i'm really not trying to be the next headline of friday sasuru," you explained, finishing the first half of your drink.

he crossed his arms and legs as he leaned against your desk with "huh?" written all over his face, "why would people think you're using your job?" the man cluelessly questioned, "unless he's a volleyball player then i—..... no way."

talking to you was like reading a book. you revealed everything by the look on your face that appeared when you hear him say the words "volleyball" and "player". only then, which one?

"you can't blame me! i'm surrounded by hot, six foot, muscley men all day! that's like, every girls dream tetsu. i got the opportunity, and took it. the worst thing that could happen is that the date goes bad and i'll have to ask them the same questions i ask five other volleyball players on live television. not bad at all," you argued.

what you said, was true. except for the fact that the date can go bad. you and sakusa were just grabbing dinner together in order to get comfortable with each other before the party. nothing more, nothing less, therefore nothing could possibly go wrong.

"well, good luck with that..." he trailed off as he made his way back to his office. "just don't go all preggo on me y/n, i'm not ready to be the best uncle just yet."