Chapter 5 The Start Of The Novel

In a blink of an eye, with the change of the seasons and the constant snow fall in the Demetrian Forest, Eira had turned eighteen.

She had become proficient in the swordsmanship of the Elves and never left her home without taking her sword or at least a dagger with her, always strapped to her waist with a pristine glow.

Many of the Elves had speculated that Eira would become Augustine's Queen, but she knew that Augustine never saw her in such a light and she was relieved because it was an emotion she had never experienced before.

She became the main healer and was involved in providing blessings for the new borne children of the Elves and creatures of the forest, such as the Wolves and the Foxes. In exchange they offered her their kills and protection.

Looking at the blonde haired Augustine who stared at her with pleading eyes, she was adamant that she didn't want to go.

"The Queen discussed with me and explained that you should at least experience what human life is like."

With a raised brow she looked up from brushing the hair of her horse Shiro, a white stallion that she was gifted preventing her from recklessly jumping and running about barefoot. Leaving her feet full of scrapes.

"But why does brother want me to go with you?" With a small smile. "You're not scared to meet humans alone are you?

"Can't you comfort me sister?" He said looking at her with puppy eyes, his pink eyes a little wet with sadness.

Chuckling she laughed softly "Don't give me such a cute look! I can't take it."

"So will you..?"

"I'll go with you-you're such a big Elf but you need me to hold your hand." Giving him a suspicious look.

"What if I make trouble?, like cause snowstorms and heavy rain?"

"It won't be so bad, that's why I want to take you with me, it's like bringing the winter woods wherever I go." He laughed jokingly, not aware of the grim look on his face as he turned his head away from her.

'We're going to need more bodyguards, we can't let the humans even think about coveting my beautiful sister.'

'She's like an angel, I can't believe I have to take her with me. I'm glad she believed that the humans are afraid of her.'

The girl of the oracle must not be tainted by the hearts of greedy men, her ignorance of the outside world for an other-worlder is more dangerous for someone so indifferent as her.

***
(Flashback)

Snow piled down quickly as the sky darkened, that not even the stars could be seen. Covered by thick clouds that scrunched up together in a frown, lightening struck awakening the slumbering queen.

Danae who was erratic and flustered didn't even wear a cloak, her inelegant appearance shocking the rest of the Elves as she ran out clamouring on to her horse. Blonde hair swept messily over her face as she rode out in her nightgown.

Following behind her closely she approached the old willow tree in the centre of the forest, where something unbelievable happened.

Standing under tree, there was a small space in between the roots of the tree. The translucent shape of a human girl rested staring at her with hollow grey eyes- most likely blind or able to see very little.

Shaking on her knees she could make out the bloodied face scorched from fire.

Flesh melting to form a disfigured clump, so that even the bones could be seen, charred a ghastly black like a piece of meat cooked on a fire.

Her body slumped inside the space her sadness, fear and loneliness could be felt by Danae who watched in silence.

If not for her dream, she wouldn't have cared for the lives of the humans but this was something different.

"I don't want to." Her choked up voice echoed in her ears, staring at the bones of her trachea that were clearly. "I never asked for this, how am I supposed to live in this new place?"

"There's no one here for me?!" Her screams roared in her ears with blame. "Can't I just go?"

"I couldn't even save myself, how can I save someone else?"

Danae picked up the nude and crying white-haired baby with emotion, feeling a strong desire to protect this person with all of her heart.