Chapter 2

Of course.”
The Chief Physician of the Cerseus Dukedom, Viscount Arga Eite Ferelmen voiced out. He was quite a young man in his mid 30s with a common brown hair and brown eyes.
He gave me a sharp look, while raising his single-edge glasses.
(omgosh that’s hot, ok)
“You are going to be my assistant as soon as you get out from the Nursery Centre?”
“Yes.”
I nodded with confidence.
Surprisingly, Sir Ferelmen laughed as if he was speechless with my 13 year old determination.
“Even the 16 and 17 year old children who have studied enough in clinical courses wouldn’t last a week, and you want to be my assistant with just a recommendation letter from your nursery teacher?”
“Yes.”
“Do you know what this recommendation letter is about?”
“I am sure you already know about it too, isn’t that right my Lord?”
I answered calmly as I took a sip of the tea that was served by Duke’s servants.
All of the residents that reside in the Cerseus Territory knew that the Duke was quite arrogant.
I have never met the Duke in person yet, but rumours said that he was an ill-tempered person.
After the previous Duke of Cerseus died, he took the role as the tenant-in-chief and never made any mistake while managing the household.
The moment he rises in power, he punishes everyone that betrayed the dukedom. Every day, there would be bodies of the servants or family members hanging on the territory gates.
(note: so this is kinda like a punishment for those who betrayed or scheming behind his back. n the duke was like: imma kill yalls)1
Of course, there was no mercy given with how he reigns the territory with such a tyranny. The embezzlement, fraud and temple’s alliances were completely destroyed.
However, he was a competent and trustworthy person. So, that is why all of the people trust his judgments.
But one day, he suddenly died along with his son, Erhan.
‘Wait a minute. Sudden death of the Duke and Erhan.. Then, Wederick became the Duke of Cerseus.. As soon as he rose in power, he joined the rebels. That’s weird.’
I tilted my head with that thought as I furrowed my eyebrows.
Well, we will find out soon.
“Should I describe you as reckless or presumptuous?”
Ferelmen gives me the recommendation letter that I handed out earlier.

I recommended Lise Estelle as your assistant.
This may sound conceited, but Lise Estelle is a well-mannered and smart child. Even if she speaks like an old woman, she is still a bright child, right?3
<Nursery Centre>
— Elbern Kyte
I know Elbern did his best, but this kind of recommendation letter was not enough to prove my worth as a doctor’s assistant.
“I apologised, my Lord. Mr. Elbern isn’t very good at writing recommendation letters.”
Ferelmen shrugged as he snorted loudly at me.
Although he is the Chief Physician in the Duchy, he’s still one of the richest men in the Empire. It is mainly because his herbal business monopolized the market sale. Of course, he was against the rebellion and was killed by Wederick’s army.
It’s a waste for him to die.’
He is too sarcastic for me to handle.
Even though Ferelmen’s personality is trash, he’s pretty handsome at that age.
I put down my teacup after analysing the situation and said confidently,
“Is it a problem if I am just a young girl and looked like an inexperienced assistant? But in my opinion, I think I am better than other kids before.”
“What?”
“If you are not quite sure about me, why don’t you test me?”
“Hahhh, very well.”
Ferelmen sighs heavily and pulls out a box of medicinal herbs.
“Cheeky kids like you have to face the reality of life to be more wiser.”
He spoke coldly as he put down five different herb’s plants on the table.
“What’s the name of these herbs?”
“Moonflower, aramcho*, bougainvillea, licorice roots and taraxacum.”
(*i’m not quite sure for 아람초 plant.)
I answered almost immediately.
It was unexpected and exceeded Ferelmen’s expectations. He creased his forehead.
He quickly pulled out another five different herbs.
“This is primrose, zinnia, bellis perennis, palm tree leaves and herbal berries.”
(*the translation gave korean version of herbal plants so i kinda struggled researching for the english name which is super scientific and hard)2
Of course, I didn’t hesitate to answer them correctly.
Ferelmen’s eyes widened at me as if he was bewitched.
“Y-you- what are you? There are quite few people who knew about herbal berries in the Empire.”
“I’ve read them in books.”
“What are herbal berries used for?”
“It can be used for abdominal pain caused by mana’s side effects. The side effect is high blood pressure. Herbal berries fruits can be collected only in spring at Mount Delaforcè.”
I grinned at him confidently and explained everything without him asking about the located area.
“What if you mix primrose and zinnia?”
“The mixture is good for early colds. But of course, the progress is slow.”
“After seeing 10 of the medicinal plants, what herbs are related to homeostasis?”
“It is lacorice roots. Bellis perennis has the same effects, but since they are expensive and rare, it is better to use lacorice roots.”
Ferelmen took away his single-edge glasses and cleaned it using his handkerchief. He fixed his glasses and stared at me still.
“You’re thirteen?”
“Yes.”
“Are you sure that you don’t have any medical experiences?”
Of course I have full medical knowledge plus experiences but I decided to answer like an innocent thirteen year old girl.
“Yes, I’m sure.”
“Then how did you know about all of these?”
“Well obviously because I’m a genius.”
I spoke confidently. A pair of brown eyes that stared at me in amazement a while ago went sharp.
“I’m telling the truth.” (Lise)
But that was all I can say.
Strangely, with a quiet voice, the crude man in front of me speaks slowly.
“Then…. Why did you apply as my assistant?”
I was a little taken aback then answered without hesitation.
“Since I am a genius, I want to work under someone who is a genius too.”
“*Cough!* True.”3
Well it partially is true because Ferelmen indeed is a genius.
Arga Ferelmen was famous as the most outstanding politician in the Duchy. He had such a rich knowledge in medicine and herbal remedies that he could open up the biggest business in the Empire.
‘What is this?’
I looked up at Ferelmen who was embarrassed and his ears were red. 2
‘When he acts like this, he looks better than before.’
Ferelmen started to speak while his hand on his chin, trying to suppress his smile.
“So… I will accept you as my assistant. But if you don’t like how I treat my workers, you are welcome to leave the mansion.” (Ferelmen)
“I know.” (Lise)
‘Your temper is trash.’
I nodded gladly with his arrogant remarks.
“Follow me, I will show where you will reside in this mansion.” (Ferelmen)
The maid beside Ferelmen flinched when he suddenly stood up from the sofa.
“W-we can g-guide the miss. Y-you don’t have to do it by yourself, m-my lord…” (Maid)
“I don’t like this brat, so I’m going to escort her by myself.” (Ferelmen)3
When I was burdened by the awkwardness around the room, Ferelmen cut the maid’s word.
“Make sure you prepare a heavy meal before dinner.” (Ferelmen)
“….Pardon?” (Maid)
The maid asked in confusion.
Ferelmen glanced down at me and frowned. He said,
“You are thirteen yet you look short and skinny. Did the nursery feed you?” (Ferelmen)
Hard reality, I was born to be short.7
I will still be short even when I grew up as an adult
I nearly glared at him, who intentionally insulted my small physiques. Then he voiced out again,
“What do you like? What food do you prefer?” (Ferelmen)
“Uhhhh… I like sweet things.” (Lise)
“Then we can prepare it for you with various types of sweets.” (Ferelmen)+
“Excuse me?” (Lise)
“You mentioned that you are from the nursery, right? What did you even eat there?” (Ferelmen)
I almost lost my temper when he ignored my question.
“You will know your own taste if you eat the sweets that I prepare. Choose some foods and tell me if you’re hungry, I will inform the kitchen staff.” (Ferelmen)
But I was confused so I shut my mouth and relieved my temper.