Blossoming into Light

Adella sat on her porch taking a well deserved break from tending to her farm. A cold one in her right hand and Demeter napping on her left, she takes in the view of her hard work. The farmer closes her eyes enjoying the melodic tunes of the song birds. Her mediation was interrupted by a phone call.

She fished her phone out of her overall pocket and smiled seeing Harvey's face across her screen. The farmer answers in a chirpytone.

"What's shakin' bacon?" Adella greeted causing him to let out a chuckle.

"I wasn't expecting that as a hello." He laughed almost losing the reason why he called.

"Sorry," She grinned taking a sip of her drink, "Anyway, what did you want to tell me?"

Harvey sighed trying not to sound upset, "My aunt called me a few minutes ago she told me that my mom had stroke, a pretty bad one at that and she's in the hospital."

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry." Adella frowned sitting up a bit.

"It's not your fault dear," He sulked, "The reason why I called was to let you know I might take a train out to the city tonight to go see her."

"Of course, you should go see your mother. You don't have to ask me for permission." She affirmed.

"I know but I don't know when I'll be back. If it's as serious as my aunt says I probably won't be back for the Flower Dance." Harvey mentioned.

"Harvey, honey don't even worry about it." Adella reasoned, "This is your mom, you should be with her in her time of need."

He exhaled relieved, "Thank you for being so understanding, again I'm sorry this was all short notice. I'll make it up to you when I get back."

"No problem, babe." She smiled, "I promise I'll save you a dance."

-<~***~>-

A beautiful spring day provided the perfect setting for the annual Flower Dance. Flora in full bloom and fauna singing their best love songs for the special occasion. Emily had volunteered to make her friend another dress for the event. Regardless if it was a night out or just lounge wear she curated, she was happy she finally has a model to try on her clothes.

This year Emily made Adella a sheer pink A-line dress that came down just above her ankles, with a boat neck line and flowy petal sleeves. It was honestly her best work yet. Her dress was equally as lovely. A pastel yellow princess cut dress that fell below her knees with a V-neck line and sheer kimono sleeves.

"It's a shame your beaux couldn't make it." Emily pouted strutting with her to the clearing, "I would've loved to see his reaction." She giggled.

Adella blushed shaking her head, "I'm pretty sure it would've been similar to last year. Plus I can't really blame him, his mom is in the hospital."

"Yeah, that is unfortunate but hey, we're still gonna have fun regardless." She smiled reassuringly.

"Yeah," The farmer grinned taking her hand, "C'mon lets dance!" She led her out to the clearing.

The two women dance to light instrumental music, giggling to each other as they spun each other around. It was the perfect setting for a communal get together, warm breezy spring weather, blooming flowers showing off their colors for the following season, and everyone dressed in their church best.

"So I take it you're not participating in the annual dance?" Emily asked as they both take a break.

"Nah, I just figured I'd dance by myself and pretend I have a partner." Adella stated sarcastically.