Chapter 49: Gift

*Rachel POV*

An irritating beeping noise sprouted out of the darkness, destroying my sleep. I rolled over sluggishly and slapped my hand on my alarm clock.

Right, I have work today.

"Look who's awake," my friend Abby said, leaning on the doorway. "Wake up stupid."

I smiled, "Shut up."

She walked over to me, handing me a steaming mug of tea. "Thanks," I said.

I got to my feet. Only someone else being in the room could wake me up, and Abby was good at that, you know, being a person.

"I'll be back. I need to find my apron."

"Right. I gotta get dressed anyway."

She left and I stood tiredly for a minute, reminding myself where I was and who I was. Even though I had been living back in Southern California for six months now, it didn't feel like it some of the time. This was one of those mornings. I just wanted to look at the window and see clouds, but all I saw was sunshine.

I pulled on my black pants and black shoes and black shirt. I would normally wear black for my own enjoyment, but this wasn't one of those days. I completed it with my green apron.

Working at Starbucks was fun. Luckily I worked with my best friend. Unfortunately sometimes she would make strange faces at me and I would laugh in front of the customers. Guys often flirted with her and me not so much, but I didn't mind. She was social, I was social... socially awkward, that is. It made sense. Sometimes she would purposely spell names wrong on the cups. I was too nice to do that, but it was pretty funny watching pre-teenage girls' disappointed faces.

I walked outside my room and went directly to hers, knocking on the door. "Are you ready?"

"I can't find it!"

"We're going to be late."

"I know..."

I didn't know how, but somehow in the last six months I was able to learn how to responsible and neat. At least, much more than her, which I never was in past years.

"Found it!" She shouted.

I laughed, "Alright, let's go!"

...

I watched as two of my coworkers walked in. Yes, I'm free. No more work for today. I mean, I did like work. It was important. I think I liked the getting money part of it more than taking orders and blending drinks, though.

Abby and I made an eye contact of agreement, split the tip money between us, and then left work.

Once we a bit down the street, when Abby said, "Finally!"

I laughed, agreeing.

"Lunch?" She asked.

"Lunch," I nodded.

We always went to this small Italian bakery on the corner, where they had Italian food and pastries.

...

I blew on my tea as Abby stabbed at her salad.

"You know, I was thinking we might be able to afford a router soon," she spoke.

My ears perked up in excitement. "So, Internet?"

"Yes, Internet."

I smiled, "How I've missed the Internet." I paused then, thinking. "Are you sure we can afford it? Like... rent, insurance, food..."

"I think we can, if we just don't eat out at all for the next week and don't go to movies or go shopping, we'll have enough and more."

I smiled, "Sounds great."

It was weird not having internet in the last couple months. I hadn't remembered a time without it. I wonder what memes I missed and more importantly, what had Dan been up to?

I shivered a bit. I thought about Dan now and then, but I always doubted a bit that he thought about me after all this time.

"Alright. I gotta go. My class starts at one."

"Good luck," I said, standing up with her as she stood. She threw away her stuff and I did too. I waved at her as we left the shop, walking in different directions.

...

I walked into the apartment building, sighing as I took off my apron and hat. I turned to the mailbox and stared at it tiredly.

I opened it, filling through some letters. Bills, bills everywhere.

I held them in my hand and walked up the stairs. I traveled to the third floor, turned to the right, and dug through my purse for my keys. I fiddled with them in my hand until I was able to get it facing the right way. I put the key in the door and turned it, walking into the living room.

I plopped myself down on the kitchen table, filling through the letters once again, but this time, looking more carefully. Among the bills, was an unexpected letter.

Rachel was written across the envelope in black pen. There was no return address.

I tried carefully opening in, but I ended up ripping the envelope as always.

I unfolded a lined sheet of paper:

Dear Rachel,

This letter is going to seem weird. There's no way to make it not weird. Let me start.

I saw you working at a nearby Starbucks. I knew you must've lived around here, so I searched for people with your full name around here. I found out where you lived. I was surprised you lived so close to me. I rode my bike over to your building and put this letter in your mailbox.

Wow that sounded very stalker. I am not a stalker.

But I do know that what I give you will mean a lot to you, so I made sure to buy it before it went out of stock.

I hope you are well and I hope this is right.

I stared at the paper for a long time, confused and wondering what it was about.

I set the letter down and looked at the bottom of the envelope. There was a small, thin piece of paper. I pulled it out.

Between my two fingers was a ticket.

A ticket to VidCon.