Chapter 7: Friends and Foreign Feelings

Rachel POV

I sighed, feeling extremely embarrassed. I always got lost, but this time I just had to seem like a pathetic fangirl asking Dan to find me.

I found a bench which was almost directly behind me. I sat and passed time by adding numbers I memorized to my Contacts. Then I downloaded necessary apps. I posted on Facebook:

"Hey everyone! I got a new English phone number! Please send me a message with your number! Things are going well, by the way! Today I bought a lot of necessities for my apartment! I've already made friends with my neighbors! Anyway, please send me your numbers! Talk to you all soon! I'll keep you all updated!"

Just then, I saw someone walk by and stand there out of the corner of my eye. I looked up. It was Dan.

"Hi," I said.

The corners of his mouth turned up, exposing his white teeth, and dimples formed on his cheeks, "Hey. So how did you get lost here anyway?" He laughed.

"I dunno. I think I turned the wrong way and walked the rest looking at my phone," I smiled shyly. My face must've gone red.

He laughed, "You sound like me."

I smiled at him. Just then, my stomach growled as if at volume 100.

He laughed, "Are you hungry?"

"Of course. I haven't had lunch. Well, not breakfast either, really."

"We're getting something to eat."

"No, you don't need to do that," I smiled. Really, he didn't. But I was glad for the offer. At the same time I didn't want to feel like I was using him for food or something.

"No, I want to. Plus, I'm hungry too. This is my breakfast."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I always end up going to sleep really late."

"I do too. But you know, jet lag."

He nodded.

He led me to a restaurant near the shopping center. It was a small casual cafe.

We both got sandwiches.

We sat in a booth.

"So, what's new, Dan?" I asked him, trying to make casual conversation.

He smiled and looked down at his sandwich in his hands, and then back up to me, "Nothing at all, really. I've just been on the computer as always. I'm kinda antisocial."

"It's alright, I am too."

"You don't seem like it," he said.

I awkwardly took a bite of my sandwich, chewed it as gulped it down. "Well this is going to sound weird," Oh no. I was saying it. No going back now. "I somehow feel like I know you guys, even though I totally don't. I watch your videos and I feel comfortable around you both because of that." I looked down and I bet my face was red.

"You watch our videos?"

"Yes," I admitted. I was a fangirl by no mistake, and had been for years.

"I never knew," he said.

Was he disappointed? Did I just ruin everything?

"It's just most girls who watch my videos would start crying or screaming when they saw Phil or I!" He laughed happily.

"Well I can control myself," I said in a joking tone, but it seriously took a lot to not fangirl when I was in their flat yesterday.

He laughed and I joined in.

"Well," I said as I finished my sandwich, "Thank you for the lunch, danisnotonfire."

"You're welcome, Rachel," he said. "You don't happen to have a YouTube channel, do you?"

"I don't, but I've always secretly wanted one behind the fear of some of the things that can come along with it, like hate and crazy fans."

He laughed. "It can be crazy, but I think it's worth it."

"Maybe I'll have to reconsider, then."

He smiled, "We should get back."

"Yeah, probably. Thanks for lunch," I got up.

"Of course," he smiled sweetly, standing up too.

We together walked to the tube station and traveled home, sitting side by side. It was weird to think that yesterday we were strangers and now we were friends. I was friends with Dan Howell. It was a miracle. It was hard to act not too excited, but I honestly was.

We walked out of the station and headed to our building. We went up the stairs until we reached the doors to our flats, just across the hall from each other.

"Have a nice rest of the day," I said to him. If I was far away from him, I would've waved, but he was too close to me for that. I had to bend my neck to look up at him.

"You too," he said.

"Wait," I stopped him as he was turning away, accidentally grabbing his hand. He looked down quickly and I suddenly flinched my hand away, "So sorry. I... Um I was wondering if we were friends. I hope me being a fan doesn't make things weird. Or maybe we're just neighbors next door. But I want to be your friend, if we can."

I choked on my words. Why did I even say that? I was completely awkward. I should've just seen if Dan and I became friends or not. But no. I just HAD to make things awkward.

"Of course we can," he smiled down at me.

Then, he wrapped his arms around me in a quick hug. I reached around his back. I rested my head against his chest. He smelled heavenly. He released me.

"Bye!" He said.

"G-bye!" I choked.