Chapter 39: Sleep Talking

*Dan POV*

Her breathing slowed and her grip on the duvet loosened. I could tell she was asleep.

I couldn't go to sleep this early. Years of staying up to 4 really screws up your sleep schedule. But I was comfortable, and unlike the normal want to get up and go on the Internet when I couldn't sleep. I just stayed here, spacing out and taking it in.

I felt her leg move suddenly forward, and I became alert. She became still. I moved carefully to look up. Her eyes were still closed. She was still asleep.

"Dun," she mumbled.

I squinted at her unsure. Was she actually awake?

I saw her mouth open, drool escaping her mouth. Okay, she was asleep.

"Dun," she repeated.

Is she trying to say Dan?

"Yes?" I whispered.

"Dun," she murmured. "Dun leave me."

Things became less cute, as I realised what was happening.

"I won't leave you. Ever," I insisted.

"You'll leave me," she turned slightly into her pillow. "Everyone leaves."

"I'm different."

"What?" She said. She turned over and looked at me in the darkness.

"Nothing," I said quickly.

"We're you talking to yourself?" She giggled a bit.

I looked into her eyes, which were still visible in the darkness. They were tired, obviously, and happy. But beneath that happiness, I saw fear. I didn't know how to respond.

"Yeah," I lied. "Sorry."

I didn't like to lie to her. I never would want to lie to someone who I loved, but I felt I had to. I didn't want to explain.

But what would happen if one day I had to leave her? What if I couldn't deal with the things that would come? But you promised, Dan, you promised.

*Rachel POV*

Nightmares weren't my favorite things, and I had some pretty insane ones. Getting eaten alive, having fish wiggle out of your pores, witnessing murder. The list could go on. There was no question - I was pretty messed up.

I loved Dan. I always had. But believing in something so magical to happen - to suddenly be freed of things that had been torturing me for years, it just didn't seem possible. I wanted to believe it. I knew Dan had a better chance of understanding England's system than me, being born here and having a little knowledge of the law.

I couldn't get back to sleep. What was Dan even talking about? Was he really talking to himself? It wasn't very mumbly. I didn't want to doubt him, though. If we were going to get threw everything, I had to believe in him.

"I'm sorry," I heard.

I couldn't turn around. Turning around meant making the bed move and disturbing him. Was he even awake?

"Dan?" I whispered audibly.

I heard no response. I wanted to assume he was asleep, but I wasn't exactly sure.

I heard him breathing on my hair. He must've been asleep.

"It isn't going to work, I'm sorry."

I felt my body get instantly cold. No, Rachel, don't panic. He's probably not even talking about you.

"Dan?" I repeated.

"I can't do it. It's not possible."

"What isn't possible?" I asked him.

"Shh, Rachel, shh," he whispered. "Nothing's the matter."

I tried to close my eyes and not think about it. It probably doesn't mean anything, I said to myself. Nothing at all.

I felt his hand slide into the dip of my waist. I tensed up a little, but then he pulled me toward him. I felt warm. Slowly, my consciousness faded into blackness again.