Chapter Three: Multiple Challengers

Blue and Amour looked around cautiously as they followed their trainer through the open gateway into the cemetery; they had been there many times before, when Kevin would visit his mother's graveside to bring flowers and one-sided conversations, but the eerie quiet of the place still made them feel uneasy. There were rows upon rows of headstones as far as the eye could see, and the Steenee and the Gothorita knew that under the ground they walked upon many humans slept their final sleep. As much as they wanted to say something to ease their discomfort, they kept quiet out of respect for their trainer and the loss from which he still suffered.

Kevin finally stopped in front of one particular headstone, and in spite of their relatively low literacy the two Pokémon reflexively tried to read it. Fortunately, they had seen the words enough times to recognize them:

Here lies Valerie Hart
"Faithful wife and mother dear, in sweet repose is sleeping here,
her painful loss we deeply feel, but God can all her sorrows heal"

Under the words was a series of numbers that Kevin had told them were the dates of his mother's birth and death. Since neither of the Pokémon had personally experienced the loss of a loved one they couldn't relate, but they understood that the death of Valerie Hart had hurt their friend deeply.

They watched as he knelt before the headstone of his mother's grave and placed a small bouquet of colorful flowers at its base. "Hey, Mom," he said, breaking the unnatural silence. "Sorry it's been so long."

The pair watched and listened as he talked about his school life, the ups and the downs of being a high school senior as well as his impending finals. He talked about his dad, and how the two of them had been doing since the last visit. He talked about the upcoming tournament, and how he would do his best to make her proud. And finally, he talked about his Pokémon.

"I'm really glad they're here," he said to the silent, grey stone, then gestured to his two companions. "Especially Blue and Amour here. You remember me telling you about them, right?"

The Pokémon in question exchanged a glance; during previous visits they'd heard the human speak to his mother as though she could hear him, but it was still puzzling to hear him ask her headstone a question.

"Blue still cooks dinner for all of us," he continued. "Er, wait; was she a Steenee the last time we visited?" He chuckled awkwardly as he scratched his head. "I think she was. Anyway, she makes dinners, and-oh! She made a breakfast burrito for Dad a few days ago. He was late leaving for work, so she made a burrito for him to eat on the way. Pretty cool, huh?"

Said Steenee blushed at his words, and Amour smiled sympathetically as she patted her friend's shoulder.

"And Amour's such a big help; I still forget to make my bed – in fact, I don't remember until I get to school – but by the time I get home, it's all made. I'm glad I have a friend like her."

Said Gothorita blushed at his words, and Blue smiled sympathetically as she patted her friend's shoulder.

"And both her and Blue still clean house while Dad and I are gone. I'm really glad that they-" He suddenly cut himself off, pressing his fist to his mouth, and his shoulders began to tremble, causing Amour to take a hesitant step toward him. A gentle press to her back had her moving forward again, and the pair made their way over to the distraught boy. A touch to his head from the Gothorita, and he turned his anguished gaze on them. "I miss her so much," he whimpered, quickly covering his face with his hands as the tears started to flow.

"We know, Keveen," Amour replied, tears forming in her own eyes as she reached out to cradle his head as much as her diminutive form would allow. "And we are so sorry that she is no longer here."