Epilogue: Promises of a Better Future

The small group made their way across the uneven landscape dotted with headstones, finally coming to a stop in front of one in particular. "It's been a long time, Valerie," the man said to the grave's occupant. "I'm sorry for being away for so long."

The young, green-haired woman accompanying him gave his arm a squeeze. "Ve vill vait over zere," she said while pointing to a small mausoleum a short distance away. "I vould like chance to talk vith her before ve leave, though."

"I haven't forgotten," he said with a gentle smile and a pat on the hand holding his arm. "Thanks; I'll try to not be long."

"Take all the time the time you need, Dad," the young man said from behind him; on each of his arms a pair of girls – one with hair the color of night and the other that of grass in springtime – nodded their agreement.

Craig Hart's smile broadened at the support of his family. "All right; thank you all."

The quartet moved toward the small structure to give their patriarch his privacy, though they all couldn't help but look back as he knelt down next to the gravesite. "He seems...happier than the last time we visited," Kevin remarked as he studied his dad.

"Of course he is," Blue replied with a flip of her green lengths. "He has me, and I have verked very hard for his happiness."

The young man chuckled appreciatively. "I know. Thanks."

"Ah never thought ah'd see the day that Papa would be happy..." Caitir mused as she absently played with one of her twintails; she had developed a fascination with her new silky, green locks since her own transformation a month prior. "Ah must say; yer a miracle worker, Blue."

"S-Sank you very much," the former Steenee replied, and the others chuckled sympathetically as she unsuccessfully hid a blush behind her hand fan; even though she was as confident as ever, she would still become quite shy when praised directly. She shifted her gaze from them to her favorite human, who had just placed a single rose by his late wife's headstone. "I know he vill alvays love her," she sighed, "and I vould never sink to replace her. All I can do is make sure to not be jealous of her; after all, it is my job to take care of him now."

Back at Valerie's grave, Craig smiled briefly at his happily chatting family before directing his attention to the smooth gray headstone before him. "Hello, love. I'm sorry for being away for so long." A heavy sigh. "It just became too painful to see you...like this, so I couldn't..." He sighed again, this time with a heave of his shoulders. "I'm sorry."

As expected, no response was forthcoming.

"Heh..." Craig chuckled as he ran his fingers through his hair, and he realized that he had likely developed a bit of gray at the temples since his last visit; not much, but enough to denote the passage of time. "Well, I'm sure you've met Kevin's Pokémon. In fact, if I remember correctly, you would have known Amour, wouldn't you? She was a...a..." He looked up, his forehead wrinkling as he tried to remember the name of Amour's original form. "Doggone it; I can't keep track of all those names. Our boy told me that there are over eight-hundred different kinds of them running all over the world. Anyway, she's human now. So are Blue and Caitir-wait, you haven't met her yet, have you? She used to be a...well, a Pokémon, but changed about a month ago." He blinked, than chuckled self-consciously. "Look at me; I haven't visited you in a long time, and all I can comfortably talk about are Kevin's friends." He sighed yet again, his eyes misting as he studied the headstone. "I miss you, Val. Not as much as I used to, but..." He thumped his hand against his chest. "It's not the same; you left a hole that no one can ever fill." He looked over at his family, Blue in particular. "I don't know if I need to ask for your forgiveness, but Blue has been pestering me about becoming my wife, and I think she's winning." He chuckled awkwardly. "Sometimes I wonder if she's a reincarnated version of you, what with how stubborn and persistent she can be at times... But she's definitely her own person." He looked back to where the chiseled stone, barely-warmed by the afternoon sun, regarded him silently. "Anyway, I came to tend to your grave, and to let you know that I'm doing okay...all things considered." Unsure of what else to say, he hesitantly reached out and patted the headstone. "Love you, sweetheart, and...I still miss you." He wiped an errant tear from his eye as he got to his feet.