-3-

Chapter Three

Claire

I jumped at the sound of my alarm this morning. Thankfully, I didn’t drool. Kelly would have killed me if her books got wet for any reason, seeing as I slept on top of her books after I was done with her assignment.

Turning off the alarm, I hurried into the bathroom with my towel in hand and turned on my shower. I’m sure that if I didn’t have my own bathroom, no one would  go anywhere the day I bathed first. I always take hours to scrub myself. I just love water generally.

Once I was done in the bath, I got out and cleaned myself while deciding on what to wear. Honestly, I don’t know why I bother. I could wear a raincoat to school and no one would notice. Well… no one except Kelly would notice.

I decided on a white crop top, blue jeans and my brown NYC hoodie. As I dressed, I stared at myself in the mirror, taking in my appearance. I ignored my panties that lay on the bed and wore jeans instead.  This might be weird but for about a year, I haven’t gone to school with panties on.

The first time was a mistake, I was rushing and I couldn't open the underwear drawer so I decided to wing it. I remember the thrill I got knowing I’d be in the midst of teenagers on my bare bottoms, it was somewhat exciting. After that day…. I don’t know, I wanted to feel that rush everyday. One thing I could take pleasure in, you know? 

Once I finished dressing up and putting my hair in order, I grabbed my books along with Kelly’s and shoved them into my bag. At least she won’t bother me much after today. It was my fault anyway. Anyone would be mad if their assignment was screwed over.

After zipping up my bag, I took a final glance at my room before heading down to the kitchen. Of course the house was empty again, so I just made a few pancakes and hurriedly ate them before moving out.

With my headphones in my ear, I walked off to school, listening to Lizzo’s music. I was feeling at peace until a car parked itself right in front of me, blocking my pathway.

I took off my headphones and eyed the black camry with tinted windows. The window of the front passenger's seat was wound down and the girl in front took my breath away with just one smile.

“Hey, Claire?” She said, a smile still on her face though she seemed unsure.

“E..Evie.. Hi.” I whispered more to myself than her, trying to calm down my already speeding heart.

“I’m sorry for interrupting your walk like this but Corinne had pressed the horn multiple times and you didn’t answer.”

“Yeah..” I took off my headphones to show her. “I had these on.”

She nodded her head. “Right. Anyway… We saw you walking down by yourself and wanted to know if you needed a ride?”

“What? No! It’s okay. It’s a short distance anyway. I’m fine really.” I declined her offer, feeling a bit flustered.

“Come on! It’s fine.”

I gulped, trying not to look at her and caught sight of her friend Corinne who was nodding her head, telling me to get in.

“Okay, fine!” I sighed and she smiled wider, unlocking the doors.

I shoved my headphones in my bag before getting into the car. Once I closed the back seat door shut, Corinne started the engine and drove off to school.

The silence in the car became deafening and somewhat awkward so I reached for my bag and pulled out my headphones again. I put it on, wondering why they noticed me today and what they were planning.

Once we reached the school’s parking lot and the car came to a stop, I got out of the car, giving Evie and Corinne a quick thank you, before walking away, not wanting to make it anymore awkward between the three of us by lingering there.

I found my way to my locker through the thick crowd of students and waiting beside my locker once again, was Kelly. Taking a deep breath, I walked slowly towards her, feeling a little bit confident because I won’t be getting any insults or threats today.

“Good morning, Kelly.” I greeted, a small smile on my face.

She stares at me for a little while, making me squirm a bit. She cleared her throat after what seemed like forever and asked “Where is it?”

I smiled and unzipped my bag. After bringing the books out, I hand them over to her.

Kelly grabs them from me roughly and starts to inspect them, eyeing me subtly.

Once she was done, she slammed the book shut, making me jump a bit. She smirked evilly at my reaction.

“Good job Wilson. I guess you’re not entirely useless.” 

Kelly walks away and I sighed in relief, happy that I won’t need to see Kelly for another one week.   

I looked at my reflection in the mirror that I’d placed inside my locker, organizing myself quickly. Once I was satisfied with my appearance, I shut my locker and headed to class quickly before the bell rang.

Evie

I don’t blame Claire for running off like she did. If the roles were reversed, I would have done the same thing if two girls I’d never spoken to before, had offered to give me a ride to school.

“Well… That was a nice ride.” Corinne said, sarcasm heavy in her tone.

“ Corinne….” I sighed, exasperated.

“I just don’t understand why you offered a ride.”

“Me?! It’s your car and you didn’t exactly say no when I offered.”

“Of course not! You bribed me with a cheese burger.” she yelled, throwing her hands up in annoyance.

I rolled my eyes at her antics and she groaned.

“Look, Evie, I know you feel somewhat responsible for her, but she’s not our responsibility. And honestly, I’d rather not meddle in Kelly’s issues and become one of that loco’s target.”

I shoved her, annoyed by her choice of words. “She’s not crazy, Rinne.”

She face palmed herself, sighing. “You’re hopeless.”

“Okay. Yes. I feel sorry for her, but….”

“....but nothing. It’s not our business and I’m sure Claire won’t appreciate our meddling so let’s stay out of it. Okay?”

I stayed silent for a little while before nodding my head slowly. Rinne smiled and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. “Come on. Let’s get to class.”

_____________

Please Vote and Comment.