Part Twenty

That evening the three of us sat out back, looking at the shield on the table. It was the only connection I had left to my grandpa, to my family. All the battles, the protection, the symbol. It was all him. Everything about that shield was him.

We had been sat in silence for about half an hour, drinking our beers and lost in our own thoughts. I had peered over to the boys at times trying to read their faces, but they were giving nothing away.

"What do we do now?" Sam sighed, breaking the silence.

"There's only one thing that springs to mind." I lifted the bottle to my lips, taking a long sip. Surely I wasn't the only one thinking it?

Bucky got up and walked away from the table to the side of the house.

"Bucky, where are you going?" I asked.

He stood in his tracks and turned slightly in our direction. I saw a small smile curl on his lips before he pushed it away, "Ive got something to do."

"How vague." A voice popped up behind Sam and I from the kitchen doors.

I jumped slightly at the unfamiliar voice, turning to see a young guy in military gear stood at the door.

Sam looked between us, bringing his beer to his mouth, "Lori, Torres. Torres, Lori." He said simply before taking a sip.

"Nice to meet you" I smiled at him as he pulled a chair between us.

"And you." He sighed and looked at me. "The whole world knows about Mallory Rogers now. Captain Americans missing granddaughter."

"Perfect." I sighed, drinking the last of my beer.!

"Surely you knew this day would come?" Sam frowned and looked in my direction.

I guess I knew coming back and trying to figure all this out would push me to the front of peoples chatter. I kind of hoped it never did. But I guess being Captain America's granddaughter was a huge thing. I mostly just saw him as grandpa; he wasn't any different to another grandfather. OK, being God knows how old, time travelling and being a super soldier Avenger wasn't an average grandfather. But I knew no different.

"I hoped it didn't."

"Well, it has..." Torres sighed, "you know Walker wants it back, right?"

"He ain't getting it." I screwed up my face and shook my head. How dare he think he's entitled to the shield when he has never done anything to earn the name Captain America.

"How did Walker find out?" Sam asked.

Torres got up and walked over to the shield, stroking it as he rounded the curves and felt the bumps still in the metal from various bullets and knife attacks. "A tip off.
You are so lucky to have grown up with this."

"I didn't. I lived in England." I explained with a smile. Torres seemed sweet. He looked at the shield like a kid at Christmas who's just come downstairs and found all their presents.

"Who tipped him off?" Sam changed the subject back to what we wanted to know.

"Sharon." I said matter of factly. Of course it was her. It had to be her.

"No, it was some guy." Torres said not taking his eyes off the shield.

"Damn it." I mumbled under my breath. I was sure that Sharon would have been involved. I was just glad Bucky had left and had no chance to rub my face in it...

"Anything else about him? Did he leave a name?" Sam queried.

"Erm, no I don't -"

"Oh just pick the damn shield up!" I said quickly, seeing the look on his face as he looked at the shield. Everyone had the same look when they wanted to hold it.

"No, including." Torres laughed nervously and put his hands in his pocket, looking down to the floor. After a few seconds, he lifted his head and looked in my direction through his lashes, "can I?" I nodded and he lifted the shield, putting it on his arm. "Wow. It's heavy." He smiled

"So this guy?" Sam quickly said, obviously annoyed with the change of subject all the time.

"Right, yeah. Sorry. He had a husky voice. An accent...." Torres was trying to talk but he just wanted to play with the shield.

I looked over to Sam, "any ideas?"

"I have one." Sam sighed and leaned forward in his chair, leaning his weight in this elbows.

I waited a few seconds, but he didn't relapses. "Care to share?

"1zemo"