HIS TOUCH ## KANEKI

there he stood, under the stars

there he stood, under the stars. right in front of you, in the darkness of the night. the man you had been yearning to lay your eyes upon. yet, it wasn't the man you expected.

his shiny, ebony hair was now a vibrant yet boring white. the once gleeful look in his grey eyes had turned dull and dead.

"it's me, kaneki." he faintly smiled.

every muscle in your leg wanted to run and simply feel the warmth of his embrace. but nothing about him looked... warm. he looked as cold as the midnight breeze that kept constantly brushing your skin.

besides, he left you alone for too long. not even a note or a single clue to his whereabouts and wellbeing and now he decides to show up out of the bloom.

"y/n?" he questioned due to your lack of emotion and words.

kaneki began walking hesitantly towards your shaken figure. not even a second and he stood towering over you, staring down at your quivering expressions.

he got taller.

the atmosphere thickened deeply as he lifted his pale hands to cup your face. a distinct temperature change compared to when his hands were... warmer and his touch was... softer.

his eyes bounced between the both of yours and he bit his discoloured lip nervously.

"say something." he demanded yet in a soft pleading manner.

your bruised heart clenched as a weight in your throat formed simultaneously.

"what am i supposed to say?" you dismiss the tears that dared to fall in front of him.

you instantly regretted your words after seeing him shift his head to avoid eye contact with you.

what a dumb move, y/n.

"i haven't seen you in at least a month, maybe even two. and you just show up out of nowhere. it hurts." you whisper hurtfully. you peel his cold, disheveled hands off your warm face.

his hands twisted out of your grip to reverse the dominance as your hands now lay in his.

kaneki's touch seemed gentler, but not warmer.

his white hair grew messier in the night breeze as he reluctantly turned to face you.

"i know, and i'm sorry" he replied, his face finally expressing clear emotion to his words.

kaneki began fidgeting with your fingers, admiring what he had missed over his weeks of reasonable absence.

you swiftly slipped your hands out of his in response. his touch didn't feel the same anymore.

"y/n... come on." he persisted for his hands to be on yours.

"what happens now?" you purposely ignore his attempt of contact and redemption.

"y/n, don't be.." he sighs and was immediately cut off by you.

"don't be what? difficult? emotional? dramatic?" you gesture quotation marks after each word with your fingers.

maybe you were a tad on the dramatic side but you were too heated up in the moment for it to even cross your mind.

"y/n, just let me.."

"just let you leave me again?" you glared at his blurring figure as you cut him off yet again.

that sentence seemed to echo throughout the dead of night.

it took a few seconds for you both to take the realism of it in.

the sentence wouldn't have hurt so bad if kaneki never promised to never leave your side. both of you used to hold hands and never stop talking about how you two would be together forever with no doubt. now that was just a blatant lie.

within the short time gap, you could feel a couple tears accumulate in your eyes as you reminisced the promises that were made.

the silence felt endless.

"sorry, i shouldn't have said that." you close your eyes in shame.

"it's fine." he assured you.

you kept your eyes closed, wishing this was all a bad dream.

you felt a cold, distinctive finger raise your chin up, causing you to open your eyes. he was way closer than before.

kaneki closed in on your face without hesitation, locking lips instantly. your mind stopped dead in its track while your heart began to beat faster. neither of you tried to slip out of the kiss. you both just stood silently, savouring the beautiful moment as both of your hearts pattered in harmony.

his hand trailed from your shoulder to the back of your neck, holding firm and pressing you further into the kiss. both of your bodies moved closer without even noticing. it was just like old times.

his touch... finally felt warmer.