First Pratice

Natsu and Matsumomo sat next to each other against the wall waiting for the rest of the first year students to arrive. Looking at the circle of second and third years. They all knew each other and had been here before.

"You'll make the team." Natsu whispered.

"We'll see." Matsumomo laughed half heartedly.

"I believe in you." Natsu elbowed her. Shoyo was always in her corner. Never once saying she couldn't do it. She always had him to cheer her on. Seeing Matsumomo lack of confidence reminded her of why her brother was like that to her. "So believe in yourself!"

"Sure Natsu. I'll do that." The two continued their conversation, as the rest of the first years entered. There were six of them total, only one not coming from an athletic scholarship.

"Look, there's less competition for you. I bet you a box of pocky that you'll make it." Natsu smiles toothy, taking off her sweets to be in her gym shorts and shirt.

"Fine. If I don't make it, I'm not buying you the pocky."

"I hope you don't have to." Locking eyes with her, tongue falling between her teeth. "You look at the glass half full don't you?"

"How'd you know? Did you sneak into my mind?" Before Matsumomo had the chance to respond, their captain called the girls over.

"First years line up. Introduce yourself to the team." The Captain called out. The seven first years got into a line. Natsu standing next to Matsumomo at the end. A girl with black hair who was about the same height as Natsu went first.

"I'm Ogasawara Umi from Toyokuro Junior High." The girl said with a small bow before getting back in line.

"My name's Oka Tamiko and I'm from Chidoriyama Junior High." The girl was smaller with brown hair. Natsu pondered where she heard the name before. The next two girls in line were Nii Sango and Mori Fuyuko who both attended Chidoriyama with Oka.

The girl next to Matsumomo went. "Naito Youko from Kitagawa Daiichi Junior high." Natsu leaned forward a bit. This girl went to the same school as her older brother's closest friend.

Matsumomo went second to last. "Matsumomo Sai, I went to Minami Daisan." When she returned to the line Natsu was the last one to go.

"My name is Hinata Natsu, I attended Yukigaoka." Natsu stepped back to the line.

"Coach, and the managers are going to be a bit late. It's okay we'll start running practice anyway. After stretches we'll be doing some three on three's. There's three courts. We'll only be using two, some of us will be keeping score and referring. The games will only go to seven points. Does that sound like a plan." Captain Amanai explained. She looked at everyone staring up at her.

"Yes it does, Captain." The crowd said in unison.

"Two of you will be on court a, another group of two go to court b. The two first years remaining will be opposite of a group of two. Then the last first year will sit out and play in the second round of games." Amanai pointed at them. Natsu hoped she was with Matsumomo. She wanted to see her set, and to spike them down. Stretches began. A short girl with blonde hair tied in a bun, green eyes walked in. She was framed with a red niiyama t-shirt and shorts. A clipboard in her right hand. The first years looked over. The clipboard gave away who she was.

"Hayashi Tsuna. She is in her third year. She always gives the best advice. Just head note, she quit play in jr high, but she'll coach the hell out of us if coaches aren't here." A girl with light brown hair in a ponytail whispered.

"Ogawa, shut up or you're going to be running laps." Hayashi threatened.

"That's cruel." The older girl acted overly dramatic but laughed. "See?"