The Starting Jump

Going to sit on a bench. Natsu tied her volleyball shoes. The first matches were finished. Due to the spring Interhigh national and the team winning before while Natsu was in her third year of junior high, the team was exempt from the round. Matsumomo was on her left stealing glances at her. Opening her mouth to say something she faced the orange haired teen.

Matsumomo didn't get her opportunity to speak, "Drink about a quarter of this before you go play." Maruyama advised shaking the bottle in front of Natsu. Maruyama was helping Hayashi get everything situated before the two girls would separate, before she offered the bottle to Natsu.

"Thanks." Taking a couple of sips, Natsu placed the bottle on her side.

"Shirato isn't that insane of an opponent. But still don't play with puppy effort because they're still your opponent." The two first years nodded as the manager continued. "All opponents have their own tricks even if they aren't high on the food chain remember that. I'll see you after the game. Hayashi keeping score."

"Natsu you good?" Matsumomo asked as Maruyama walked away.

"Yeah. I was just thinking about the challenge I gave you. You haven't gotten far, maybe I should lower the number."

"I think I may know one of the reasons but I'll wait." Matsumomo tied her shoes. Natsu tightened her ponytail before brushing it to smooth it out.

"I'll tell you later." Matsumomo leaned in closer to Natsu. "You're Niiyama's number ten, ignore those assholes. Hinata Natsu made it as a starter in her first year to the best female volleyball team."

"You've known me for a short period of time. How the hell did you figure it out?"

"When you're happy you tend to scrunch your nose. But, when something bothers you'll scrunch your shoulders along with it."

"Are you stalking me?"

"A setter knows her spiker." Alongside them, the other first years with a roller coaster of emotions. It was their first high school match, even if all of them had played in practice matches. Naito was finishing Oka's braid. While the others stretched.

In the far corner lies the third year's.

"You guys want to know something? I didn't expect time to go by this quickly. After this we're done with volleyball as a team." Amanai sighed, tilting her head onto Asano's shoulder.

"Don't remind me captain. I'd like to be here just to see the underclassmen improve." Asano commented pushing, Amanai off of her.

"You can always go see them at nationals. I mean, aren't they in Miyagi next year?" Ono laughed at the auburn haired ace.

"I remember when your older sisters did that for us." Ogawa whispered. "So I feel it's another tradition right? Just like buying snacks for the first and second years. We come back in our first year of university." The Vice-captain tucked her knees into her chest with only her green eyes remaining visible.

"That's a funny coincidence, ain't it?" Mina chimes in.

"What are you talking about Hano?"

"That both Amanai have been captains for Niiyama."

"I guess so. Funny how things turned out that way." Amanai commented standing up.

"That wasn't why we chose you to be captain."

"I'd hope so. If you did , I will send Kanoka and your sister to make you do one thousand receives." The first years looked over to the second years quizzingly, their only response was a shrug.