Chapter 16: A New Friend and an Evening Out

Marion was shocked to find another like her, a fae able to control and manipulate the darkness around them. While Eira's powers were more attuned to the shadows of the world and Marion's to death, it was the closest someone had come to matching her powers, besides her father of course.

The two of them had spent much of the day relaxing in the warm sun above the training area, watching Marva and Eloise burn off some steam, while talking about their worlds. While Marion enjoyed learning more about this place, she had a feeling of restlessness and guilt creeping up on her.

Unlike Elea, Marion hadn't learned much about word marks and what she had learned was no more than basic locking, unlocking, and freezing spells, things that her parents had wanted her to learn for her own protection. Because of her limited knowledge she wasn't of much use for creating and studying portals, and due to the priestesses requests that only one outsider come into the library, she wasn't able to go research either.

In short she was frustrated, longing for adventure and a purpose, but unable to find one that would be in service to her friends, so she took a different route. This was a different world after all with so much to learn and explore, so it came as no surprise to Marion that she and Eira ended up in the library of Eira's home, pens in their hands and they talked and recorded the differences of their worlds.

"So what's your favorite festival," Eira said, looking up from a paper covered in tiny lines of neat handwriting.

"Hmm, that's hard, but I think I would say Lughnasadh," Marion responded, after a moment, "it is our harvest festival and often has some of the best food you'll eat all year. What's your favorite?"

"I would have to say Starfall," Eira said, a smile forming on her face as if she were recalling fond memories of the past, "it's the one night of the year when thousands of souls shoot across the sky, making it look like stars are falling across the entire sky."

"That sounds extraordinary," Marion said.

"It truly it," Eira responded, before slightly shaking her head, as if to rid herself of a memory, before continuing, "What else do you think we should take notes on?"

"No idea," Marion responded, looking over, but not truly reading, the page of notes before her, "I've never done something like this before, so I can only guess at the basics."

"Well then," Eira said, pushing her chair back, "why don't we get dinner, we've been working for a few hours, and I doubt that we will be going anywhere overnight."

"That sounds like a great plan," Marion said, setting down her pen and closing the notebook that Eira had given her.

"Let's head out then," Eira said, "I know a place that has some of the best food in Velaris."

"One thing," Marion said, the thought clicking into her head as Eira led her towards the door of the house, "I don't have any money to pay for dinner."

"Oh, don't worry about that," Eira waved her hand in a dismissive manner, "I'll cover it, and if you want to pay me back, just help with a few chores or something, otherwise it's no big deal."

"Thank you," Marion said, smiling as she walked out of the house and closed the door behind her, "so what restaurant are we going to?"

"Sevenda's," Eira responded, "it's located next to the Sidra, which is the river that runs through Velaris, so it might be a bit of a walk."

"That won't be a problem," Marion said, "my legs are so sore right now, that they could use a nice long walk."

"So what's your role back in your homeworld?" Eira asked and they walked through the busy evening streets.