Chapter 3

One and a half year ago

A: What did she say?

E: She said she likes black.

A: What? How am I supposed to get black flowers?

E: Don't you just paint the flowers black?

A: Huh. I guess that works too.

The ends of my lips tugged upwards at his reply. Idiot.

A hand waved itself in front of my face, causing me to look at my best friend who was sitting beside me with an annoyed look on her face.

"Seriously, what's making you so occupied?" She huffed.

"You weren't even listening to whatever I was saying."

I gave her an apologetic smile, "Sorry, what were you saying again?"

I locked my phone and set it down on the table, directing 100% of my focus to Beth.

"Forget it," she rolled her eyes. "It wasn't that important anyways. What's more interesting is the smile you had on your face while you were texting."

I bit my bottom lip nervously. "Was that a smile?" I weakly asked.

Beth smirked, "Now you're making me even more curious. Who were you texting?"

Beth reached out to take my phone from my desk but my hand shot out like a flash of lightning to keep it out of her reach.

"It was no one." I blurted out, lying through my teeth.

"Mhm, yeah, sure. Now you're even lying to your best friend for this guy. It's Alex, isn't it?" Beth teased.

My eyes widened and I shushed her hastily, slapping my hand over her mouth. I quickly took a quick look around to make sure that no one heard her.

"How did you know?" I whispered, letting her wrench my hand off her lips.

Beth made a disgusted face and wiped her lips. She shrugged, "I peeked at your phone over your shoulder when you were busy texting him."

I glared at her, "That's an invasion of my privacy!"

"Bitch, since when do we have privacy?" Beth shot back.

That shut me up. She wasn't wrong. Growing up together, intruding on each other's personal space was no big deal to us. The downside is when things like this happen.

And the really bad thing? Beth isn't only my best friend, she is also capable of turning into my biggest bully and the biggest blabber mouth in our school.

Once, I told her that Henry asked me out when we were in the 2nd grade and the next thing you know, everyone knew about it.

"Whatever," I gave in, "Just make sure that you tell no one about this. I don't want people to misunderstand and think that Alex and I have a thing going on."

"You don't?" Beth asked, looking confused.

"We don't." I confirmed.

"Then what was with that smile on your face?" She asked.

I rolled my eyes, "It was nothing. We're just friends, B."

"Didn't look like it to me," Beth taunted.

I clenched my teeth and breathed deeply. She can get on my nerves so easily sometimes.

"Alright, chill girl, I'm just messing with you," She laughed, punching my arm lightly.