2

"Mumbo?" Grian called as he landed in the redstoners base. They'd met up there every morning for the last couple of months and today was no exception... except, Mumbo wasn't there to greet him like he usually was. "Mumbo?" He called again as he started to walk around a bit.

He checked his watch, it was one minute past ten. He wasn't early, and Mumbo was normally always there by that time to give him a welcoming smile, but today he wasn't. He looked around, hoping for the moustached man to appear through a door, probably apologising for being late, but he didn't. It was silent.

"Mumbo?" He said again, this time his voice a lot quieter, a lot more worried. He launched a few rockets to get to the higher parts of the structure before gliding back down and checking in the rooms below. There was no one.

<Grian> Mumbo, where are you?

He sent the message and stared at his communicator, waiting for a reply. Mumbo had probably just overworked in his industrial district and not noticed the time, right? There was no reply yet. He'd probably just been distracted by something, maybe Iskall or someone, right? There was still no reply. But, wouldn't he have sent a message if either of those things had happened?

<Grian> does anyone know where Mumbo is?

A small chorus of 'no's came through.

Be rational, he told himself, it can't be Sam, he's dead. He took a deep breath. Then another. He knew it couldn't be Sam, but he couldn't help but be paranoid.

If it is Sam, which it isn't, but if it is then he'd have probably taken Scar as well. He pulled out a few rockets. He'd check in on Scar to reassure himself before looking for Mumbo.

He launched himself into the sky and made his way towards the large drill that was the mayor's base. When he landed next to the massive pit, he looked around for any signs of the hermit. Nothing.

Don't panic, he's probably just in the shopping district or something. He was finding it hard to be rational, but he knew that once he found out everything was alright he'd feel stupid for worrying.

He flew over to the formerly mycelium island and glided over, looking for people. He saw Beef walking around and Xisuma in the town hall, but no one else. Being rational was getting harder and harder.

<Grian> Scar?

No reply. Scar didn't reply as quickly as Mumbo always (or, normally) did so he told himself to be patient. A few minutes passed.

<Grian> has anyone seen Scar?

<BdoubleO100> nope, he was meant to meet me yesterday but never showed up

<cubfan135> same here, he said he'd come round to mine yesterday evening but didn't

It can't be Sam, it can't be Sam. He whispered it a few times as he landed outside town hall, reading the messages. It can't be Sam. He whispered it again, hoping that saying it would make him believe it.

"Grian, are you okay?" Xisuma asked. In his small panic, Grian had forgotten the admin was nearby. He nodded, not trusting himself to speak. "Who's Sam?" He asked, trying to be kind and friendly. Grian flinched slightly at the name and internally cursed himself.

"N-no one." Xisuma raised an eyebrow, but didn't question it further.

"Do you want help to look for Mumbo and Scar, I saw the messages, I assume that's what you're panicked about?" He suggested.

"No thanks," he wouldn't let another person get involved. He couldn't.

"Okay, call me if you need help." Grian nodded before taking off.

It can't be Sam, it can't be.

***

The door shot open, banging against the wall again. Scar flinched and Mumbo just looked up. Sam was stood in the doorway, his body a shadow as light spilled from behind him. The light was bright compared to the dark of the room, but it wasn't unbearable.

"Set your spawns." Sam said, placing a bed down next to the wall. They didn't move. "Do it." He didn't shout, not yet, but the threat in his voice was just as powerful as if he'd screamed at them.

Scar stood up slowly and did as he was told, then Mumbo did too, before they both backed away to the other side of the room. Sam watched them, his expression neutral, not letting any kind of emotion show.

"Which one of you's closer to Gree-on?" That didn't sound like a question they wanted to answer. Scar took another small step back and his back pressed against the cold stone wall.

Last time, they hadn't been on the receiving end of Sam's murderous actions, but this time things were different.

"You don't want to talk to me? Fine," Sam said, anger bordering his voice, "you can both be the warning." He said, before walking forwards quickly and grabbing Mumbo, since he was the closest. The moustached man tried to pull away but Sam's grip was firm; he'd won the fight before it had even started.

Sam pulled him out of the room and into the hall, locking the metal door so Scar wouldn't escape. He pushed Mumbo against the door, making sure he hit his head against the metal, that way, he'd be too concussed to fight back. He placed a block of stone to use as an island before placing lava down on the ground. He held Mumbo by the wrist to keep him in place while he thrashed around in an attempt to get away from the burning, molten rock.

"The trouble is," he said as Mumbo approached death, "I have to kill you indirectly until I turn off your death messages, otherwise everyone will know I'm here. I only want Gree-on to know, though."

MumboJumbo tried to swim in lava

Sam scooped up the hot liquid carefully, before entering the dark room to get the other one. He grabbed Scar and dragged him out to the same place while Mumbo woke up.

Scar whimpered a lot more than Mumbo had. Mumbo had only yelled and screamed.

GoodTimesWithScar tried to swim in lava

***

Grian pulled out his communicator as it vibrated. Reading people's messages while flying had caused him to crash into a number of things in the past, but right now he couldn't be bothered with such trivial safety; he needed to check it wasn't Mumbo or Scar saying something. He was on his way back from searching the Upside Down anyway, so it was unlikely there'd be anything to crash into along the long, endless hall of the nether.

MumboJumbo tried to swim in lava

Grian looked in horror at the death message. Maybe it was an accident, maybe his elytra just broke mid flight and he was in the nether somewhere. It can't be Sam. But what if it was Sam? He landed on the netherrack and kneeled down, not trusting his legs nor his ability to fly anymore.

<Iskall85> rip, need help?

<Xisuma> where are you?

Grian just started at the screen as no more messages came through, until a few minutes later.

GoodTimesWithScar tried to swim in lava

This was no coincidence. It must be Sam, who else could it be? Why else would they disappear and then die at pretty much the same time in the exact same way?

<Grian> where are they?

A few minutes later there was no reply. It was a stupid question to ask anyway.