8: Shiganshina District (Part I)

8 Years In The Past

Luca's argument with our father made the carriage ride from Stohess to Shiganshina feel like an eternity. The carriage ride, that would usually be filled with my brother's jokes and my father's endless stories, was silent for all hours of the journey. The argument was equal parts the fault of my father's strict determination to force the family business on my brother and my brother's stubborn determination to live a life of his own.

After long hours of enduring the tension-filled silence in the carriage, it was a relief to finally see the Survey Corps preparing for their scouting mission in the town square. It was even a relief to see Commander Keith Shadis, an intense and towering man, who was standing beside his horse patiently for our arrival.

"Don't embarrass me," my father quietly demands once our carriage settled to a stop, his words aimed mostly at Luca. I glance at my brother and see that he only scowls in response. I grab onto his arm for a moment, as our father plasters on his business smile, and give him the look. The look that we know means, 'if you make Father happy, he won't be in a bad mood anymore'. Luca sighs and his shoulders visibly relax. He gives me a genuine thankful smile before putting on a smile more like my father's, one that is meant for business partners and people we need to impress. I follow suit, making sure to smile warmly as I step out of the carriage and toward the group of waiting Scouts.

It's suddenly as if all eyes are on us, the Keller family, who are responsible for their ODM gear. I look around the group of Scouts and I fight back surprised at how many are younger than I am. Of course, I know that the Training Corps can take people as young as twelve years old, but it was still a shock to see their faces, still round and bright with youth. There were also some seasoned soldiers spread around through the crowd, but these were rare. Under Commander Keith Shadis, which my father had mentioned many times, survival rates were extremely low. Hardly anyone survived more than a few months, let alone a few years. As my eyes wander across the group of soldiers my eyes seem to stop on one man. His eyes are a vibrant blue even from the distance that separates us and his height alone makes him stand out from the sea of heads surrounding him. He's older than I am but he doesn't look old, he's not plagued with deep wrinkles or dark eyes like men of my father's age suffer. He looks matured, strong. Perhaps he has something to live for...

"Lydia?" my attention is brought back to my surroundings. My father, the Commander, and Luca are both staring at me, waiting for a reply to a conversation I haven't been listening to. I look between them for clues as to what to say, my mouth hanging open stupidly, until I see Luca slightly extend his hand and widen his eyes at it.

"Oh! Forgive me for my bad manners, Commander Shadis," I extend my hand out to him, which he takes and grips onto firmly, "I was just distracted by the number of soldiers here today. Quite the force you have." I see my father close his eyes and breathe deeply through his nose, a sign of disappointment, and I do my best to not flinch. Quite the force, as if most of these men and women aren't just boys and girls, hardly old enough to do much of anything.

"Yes, well," Commander Shadis starts, obviously confused on how to respond, "My soldiers work hard." I pull my hand back awkwardly, as does he, and he quickly turns back to my father. "Shall we inspect our new shipment of ODM together?". My father nods, giving my brother and me a quick stern look before turning to walk beside Commander Shadis. After they're a few steps away I bring my hand up to my forehead, using my thumb and middle finger to massage my temples. So I was the one to embarrass my father this time, at least for now.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Lydia, I wasn't listening to them talk either," Luca whispers jokingly, gently grabbing onto my arm and looping it through his. We begin walking together, following our father and the Commander from a distance. "Besides, thank God it was you who messed up first, maybe Father will forget he's angry with me." I roll my eyes but a smile breaks through anyway. We walk silently, looking around at the rows upon rows of soldiers, as we make our way to where the new ODM is being kept.