Chapter 5: "When did the lights turn off?"

{Lucas POV}

I wondered downstairs and searched through all the rooms.

"Hey mom! Dad?" I got no answer and continued my way through the house.

My confusion only grew when I noticed their cars were gone. Where did they go? They're always home on a Saturday.

I went back inside and settled on the kitchen counter, pulling my phone out to call my parents.

I opened the phone app and dialed my mom's contact. I stood straighter when I heard the dial ring stop and shuffling sounds.

"Mom? Where are you and dad?"

"Lucas, honey! We got an amazing opportunity to expand our business! This kind gentleman said he was an aspiring investor and would love to help in our company! Your father and I just landed in Dubai. Didn't he tell you?"

I relaxed when I heard my mom's voice.

"Uh, no he didn't. I woke up later today and just found the house empty, I mildly freaked out for a good twenty minutes." I admitted sheepishly. I heard my parents chuckle through the phone and I found myself smiling.

"I'm sorry son, you know how forgetful I can be." I could imagine my dad scratching his head nervously while my mom glared at him. I quietly laughed at the image.

"It's ok, good to know you guys are fine though, how long are you going to be in Dubai?"

"Well if your father would have remembered to write a note, he would have mentioned it would be for a few months. I'm sorry honey, we hate leaving you alone like this."

"It's ok mom, you guys have an amazing business, so of course you need to expand it! And don't worry about me, I know the drill when I'm left alone, plus we live in the middle of the forest! What trouble could I possibly get into?" My parents lightly chuckled at the end of my speech and I laughed along with them.

"Good, we'll see you soon son, love you and be safe! And please for the love of all things holy don't let another raccoon into the house!" I tried to hold in my laugh from the adventurous experience and mumbled out an "ok".

"Love you honey, stay safe! And I'm with your dad on this, I swear that beast had rabies!"

"It was a baby, the only dangerous thing it had was an overload of cuteness."

"And an insane amount of speed. I've never seen something run so fast before." I heard my dad mumble.

I laughed, "I love you guys too, and don't worry. There won't be any raccoon incidents this time. Even if it was completely harmless."

"Harmless my butt." My parents said at the same time. We all shared a laugh and I hung up the phone.

"Ok. So I have a few months alone with a big house, lots of land, and the element of isolation all to myself." I paused. "Netflix and cotton candy here I come!" I laughed at myself and grabbed the cotton candy from the food pantry.

I walked over to the living room and hopped over the back of the couch, landing perfectly on the cushion of softness. I grabbed the remote and started watching Supernatural.

I would never admit this out loud, but I totally ship Dean and Castiel together.

~~~~~~~~

A few hours later I woke up to a weird feeling in my gut.

It wasn't like one of those stomach aches, or anxiety, it was more like a feeling of anticipation.

Like deep down I knew something bad was going to happen soon.

I shrugged off the feeling, deeming it related to the fact I just binged like 2 seasons of a show filled with monsters and demon hunting, and went up to bed.

I sighed as I wrapped myself in my blankets.

When did it get so cold?

I saw something move in the corner of my eye. My gaze directed itself to the corner of my room where an ominous black figure crouched against the wall. I squinted my eyes, trying to get a better look at the shadow.

Wait.

When did the lights turn off?

~~~~~~~~

A/N

Dun dun dunnnnn

Thoughts on the story so far? Leave a vote/comment!

Love y'all!

~Jay <3