Prologue

// Welcome to Verbatim: Part Two. 

Please make sure you have read Verbatim (the first book in the series) otherwise you will have no clue what's going on here. 

Anyways, if you're here then thank you for continuing on this journey with me. 

Enjoy! \\

Zuri's POV

Everything hurts. God my head. I reach up grabbing my forehead and feeling an instant sting when my hand makes contact, I pull away and look at my hand to see blood. Blood? Why is there- I then take in my surroundings. Where the hell am I? I sit up immediately wincing, the blanket I had is still semi wrapped around me but it's also hanging off of my shoulder. There is nothing around me except fields of grass and one dark scary road. I see no lights anywhere. There doesn't look like there is anybody in sight.

Carefully, I climb to my feet, straightening out my blanket and hugging it around my body more. I try to rack my brain with what happened, the last I knew I was in that basement but now I'm outside- oh shit. Leonardo hit me over the head. Fuck. That explains the blood. He fucking ditched me. He fucking ditched me outside on some abandoned road. What am I supposed to do? Walk to find help. My body is so weak, I haven't walked or moved properly for what weeks like months, but I make a few steps anyways. My muscles feel weak when I move and I try to ignore the shooting pains up both my legs and my back.

I had no clue in what direction to head so I just took a guess and headed to my left, it seemed like north but who actually knows. I'm just hoping it leads me towards some sort of civilisation and not further into nowhere. I make sure the blanket is secure around my body, the crisp nighttime or early morning, I'm unsure, the air is cold. Much colder than the basement and that is saying something. We are still in winter so I'm not totally surprised. My teeth clatter with each step I take, my hands shake and my legs wobble, unbalanced and unreliable I fear.

The roar of an engine sounds from the distance, I look behind me freezing and see two bright white headlights speeding my way. What if that Leonardo? Or Max? Or one of his men? Fuck. What if they're coming back for me and this is my only chance to escape them? But also what if it is someone who could help? Someone passing through? I don't know if I should take my chance. I turn back around, facing the darkness and take a deep breath. I begin taking slow and steady steps as the car grows louder and I see the lights closer behind me, casting my shadow down onto the cement floor. I try to hold my breath, as if not breathing will make me invisible to them but of course, they can see me, not only am I walking down a long and lonesome road, I'm also covering myself with a blanket. I can't even pass as a normal person.

The car seems to slow down, or so it sounds like it and then when I hear no roaring engine getting closer I come to the conclusion the car has stopped. I duck my head and try to walk faster away. I don't know if I want to look, if I just keep going I will find safety myself. I will get there. I hear the car door open with a loud creak and then it slammed shut, loud heavy footsteps then hit the floor and I see a figure disrupt the headlights.

"Zuri?" I hear a voice. A familiar voice. Instantly I stop, my back pin straight. I look over my shoulder and see a figure stood where I presumed in front of the headlights. He had his hand upon his forehead, trying to focus on me but I couldn't see him due to the bright lights. I lifted the blanket the shield the light from my eyes to try to look at him again. "Jesus Christ,-" he steps forwards and I take one back out of panic. He holds his hands up in defence. I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me and I won't know for sure until I see his face. "Zuri, it's me, it's Louis." When I hear him say the name I thought it was, I let out a heavy breath and my chest cracked.

"Oh my god." I whisper under my breath, tears pour down my cheeks and suddenly I have enough energy to break out into a sprint, running right at Louis. He holds his arms open and just before I slam into his chest, I open my arms wrap them around his shoulders and neck with the blanket still clenched in my fist, now covering both of us. His arms circle around me, but around the blanket also, holding me to him as I sob into his shoulder with my head buried.

"Shhh, it's okay, I've got you." One of his hands strokes the back of my head as he whispers into my ear. "Everything is okay now." I cry harder into his neck, soaking it with my tears and I squeeze onto him for dear life, making sure he is in fact real. "Let's get you in the car, it's freezing." He goes to move me but I don't let go. "C'mon Zur, it's too cold out here." He speaks close to my ear, I squeeze once more before nodding my head, sucking back my tears and pulling away. I make sure to wrap the blanket around me quickly so Louis can't get a look at my half-naked beaten body.

Hanging my head low, I go to step around him but his hand finds my chin lifting my face to his. I hadn't actually looked into Louis' eyes and when I did, when I looked into those piercing blue eyes they told me everything. This was real. He really was here. Saving me.

"Jesus Christ Zuri, what the hell happened to you?" He whispered under his breath, scanning my face and the hollowed features. I dread to see myself in a mirror, I don't think I ever want to. The tears rise in my eyes and fall down my cheeks, I can't even bear any words right now so I just shake my head. He holds my chin a moment longer before nodding his head in okay and walks me over to the passenger side, his hand gently touching my lower back, the blanket restricting skin on skin contact. He opens the door for me and I whisper a thankyou before climbing in. He shuts the door, walks around the car and then climbs in his side.

He immediately turns on the hot air, letting it blast at us and fill the car. We sit there for a moment, both of us silent. He just watches the wheel in front of him, probably a thousand thoughts and questions running through his head. I just fiddled with my hands in my lap, making sure to keep the blanket wrapped around me, definitely making sure to cover my thighs where the scar and the branding sit. Without saying anything, he reaches into his back pocket and pulls his phone free, I notice how he fiddles with it then puts it to his ear. His fingers rest on the wheel and tap impatiently, a hear a voice on the other end of the receiver but I don't know whose with the volume being low.

"Calm down, just calm down." I hear yelling on the other side. "Harry,-" I stiffen at his name and my head shoots to Louis'. "-Listen to me, calm the fuck down." More yelling. Louis looks to me his eyes wide, he blinks as if in disbelief then he says, "I've found her." The other side of the line goes quiet until a few words are mumbled. "I've got her. Our girl is safe. I have her." Louis smiles a little and my face cracks in two, more tears pouring down my face. The moment I've been waiting for. My boys.

I had completely given up. Ready to end it all. But the reality is now I get to be reunited with my family and friends; my mum, Audrey, that's if she is okay I need to ask, Zayn, Niall and Harry. Even though we have so much to talk about and I have a lot of sour feelings for Harry, I can't ignore the way my heart beats faster knowing I will finally get to see him. Louis mumbles a few more things and then hangs up, shifting the car into gear before pulling away, doing a U-turn in the road and going back the way he came. He looks to me, his eyes soft, a glaze over them and smiles,

"You're home now." 

// Welcome to Verbatim: Part Two. 

Hope you're excited to join Harry and Zuri on this journey!! \\