Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen (Julian)

As soon as I heard the gunshot go off outside, panic gripped me tightly so that I actually held still for a second as Wulf held me over his shoulder.

I started squirming again, beating at Wulf's back with my good fist. My other wrist was almost healed, but I wasn't going to test it. I went to kick Wulf in the face, but he snarled and dug his nails into my sides, making me hiss.

"Quit playing around," Wulf sneered at Orion, who was still trying to test Vladimir's abilities, "We need to get out of here and rendezvous with your father. We're wasting time here." Orion just smirked as he watched Vladimir, who stood on the other side of the hallway. Despite his calm expression, I could tell he was starting to get tired of Orion's pushing and it was about to drive him nuts. I gritted my teeth, clenching my fists as I glanced at Ollie.

He sat in silence, gazing past hooded eyes at Vladimir, his hand resting near the buzzer on the arm of his wheel chair. He was still dressed in his blue silk pajamas, his blonde hair tossed over his shoulder in a loose ponytail.

Orion had glanced back at him hopefully. He reminded me of an eager puppy. I couldn't even understand his obsession with trying to please his brother... Or maybe I could, in a way? I had been embarrassed about the fact that Alexander was a genius and flew through school with flying colors while I wasn't even ready to graduate yet. But I accepted my actions, I knew what I was doing and I knew what it was going to do...

"He's right," Vladimir said calmly, watching us closely, "And it's so crowded in here. I think it's about time you moved out of the way and let me deal with your brother, Orion, and take back my brother-in-law." Orion smirked and opened his mouth to say something when an invisible force exploded out of nowhere, slamming Orion into the wall. Orion gasped and hit the floor, breathing hard as he tried to recover. Wulf's eyes widened and he instantly dropped me, taking a few steps back before bolting out the door that smacked him on the way out.

I watched him leave, scowling.

The fucking coward.

I scrambled back to my feet, grimacing in disgust down at the dress before looking up as Vladimir walked across the hallway. The building shuddered again with every step he took, as if he was running out of energy to keep it stable. He approached Ollie, who just sat quietly. Vladimir frowned, narrowing his eyes.

"I should've killed you when I had the chance, but you're the one who chose this existence... We let ourselves fear. It's an option. And your fear is slowing down the healing process. You can't move. You can't speak. All you can do is sit there, useless and disgusting. Killing you would be merciful, and unfortunately for you, I am not merciful." He stated, making Ollie's finger twitch over the buzzer.

I flinched, my back against the wall at Vladimir's voice. It sounded scary. Something deadly layered his tone and sent an icy chill up my spine. I gripped my fists against the wall, watching Vladimir closely before snapping my head to look at Kyle, who still stood there stiffly as if he had no idea what to do.

"I recommend both of you run," Vladimir murmured, not looking up at us, "I like to play with my food before I eat it."

"Don't gotta tell me twice." Kyle managed and bolted out of the hallway. I winced, pushing off the wall.

"Are you going to kill him?" I asked uneasily. Vladimir glanced at me out the corner of his eye before the corners of his lips tilted up toward a smile.

"It's okay, Julian. Go find your brother and your boyfriend. I'll handle this." He said gently. I hesitated for a moment, then slowly backed up toward the door before whirling around and darting out. My eyes darted to the van that was screeching away with Kyle and Wulf behind the windshield. I frowned, then turned to see Alexander kneeling beside Adam, who was breathing hard as he laid on the pavement.