Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three (Julian)

I did not like the way Vladimir said that.

But it didn't matter because the top to the elevator lifted and three people dropped into the elevator. Judging from the fact that they were cloaked in black, tall and beautiful with dark hair and fangs flashing, they were from Zephyra and ready to rip us apart.

The first one lunged at me, but Adam swung his foot out and kicked the guy in the jaw. The vampire hissed, stumbling back in pain as Adam gritted his teeth, glaring at the vampire and ready to kick ass, even with one of his arms in the sling. I winced at that, righting myself as he came lunging at us again.

This time, I caught him in the stomach with my fist and he fell to the floor. I looked up to see one of the other vampires slam into the wall so hard that his skull cracked against it and he gave a little whimper before crumpling to the floor. I looked at Vladimir, who hadn't even moved as he used his abilities to send the third vampire flying up into the ceiling that cracked on impact before the vampire hit the floor.

"That was useless." Vladimir deadpanned, looking at the vampires as they remained unmoving on the floor. I frowned, then looked up to hear Adam curse.

"I knew it," He said suddenly, making me look at him in confusion, "Xed was acting weird earlier, like he knew something bad was going to happen. They're going after Newt. We need to get back upstairs." Vladimir blinked, then nodded quickly as he glanced up at the ceiling for a second before the elevator made a crunching sound and shot upwards, making everyone gasp.

"You're going to destroy the cords." I managed shakily.

"Your mother'll thank me later when her sons are alive." Vladimir answered curtly. The elevator came to another sharp halt, making everyone wobble before the doors were forced open. The electricity in the elevator sparked and crackled before the lights went off, but not just in the elevator.

When we stepped out into the hallway, everything was dark. There was an icy cold chill to the air as we walked further down. There were no nurses or patients or doctors at all. If I had to guess, I figured someone had hit an alarm and they were already evacuated, but so quickly? It must have happened as soon as the elevator went down.

We walked further down, moving quietly when there was a loud crash and the sound of electricity screaming. We moved quickly down the hallway toward the MRI room where the crash had come from. The door was ripped off its hinges and inside, it looked as if someone had torn the place apart.

I started to go in first, but Vladimir touched my shoulder to warn me to be careful before he went in front of me. He just barely missed getting his head lopped off by a shard of glass, though. Vladimir jumped and we turned to see Xed on the floor, leaning against a pile of rubble, bleeding profusely from deep gashes on his arms. His nose was bloody, oozing to his busted lip. He looked murderous and what scared me the most were his rows of jagged, dangerous teeth.

He hissed at us for a second before he realized who we were. He winced as Vladimir approached him carefully.

"Xed, did they take Newell?" Vladimir asked. Xed shook his head. We looked at him confused before he forced himself to turn to the pile of rubble. He moved the blocks of cement and bits of metal to reveal Newell lying on the floor. He was unconscious, blood oozing from the corner of his mouth and a deep cut across his cheek.

I blinked, awed by the fact that Newell wasn't even really hurt. He only had a cut while Xed looked like he had taken the full brunt of the attack. If that wasn't loyalty, then I had no idea what was.

I looked around the room, cringing at the sight of what looked like bodies littered all over the floor. Or at least, what used to be bodies. They were lying in shreds, blood splattered across the walls and pooled in certain places with parts just scattered everywhere.