Chapter 9

They were both barefoot as they walked on the beach. A few fishermen were mending their nets; some were cleaning their little boats. Women and children lay fish fillets on boards to dry. They went on, unnoticed by the villagers. They seem to mind their own business, Rachel thought.

She could feel the hot sand burning her feet. Rachel felt extremely uncomfortable. Edward looked at her appearance. She was dripping all over; her white t-shirt clung to her body.

Lucky t-shirt.

"Next time, Rachel, remind me to leave you alone in the yacht. My ears hurt with your complaining!"

He walked as if he mastered the paths they took, all the way to the village open market. Rachel observed him closely as he made purchases, paying the vendors quite handsomely. For instance, he paid a hundred for a quarter kilo of anchovies. And nobody complained when he paid them with wet bills.

Some vendors greeted him, and he didn't respond much. Only a nod and a smile. He seldom talked. She also noticed some village girls eyeing him. They whispered to each other, giggling. She felt irritated.

"Do you always display yourself half-naked?!" she muttered.

"What is it to you?" he answered back, not minding her.

"Conceited creep..."

In about an hour, they were already following a cart loaded with supplies. Fresh vegetables, different kinds of dried and fresh fish, green mangoes and bananas, shrimp, and squid. Four young boys loaded the supplies on a small boat and Edward simply let them take the initiative of hauling all of it aboard the yacht. He trusted these people enough not to follow their movements. He paid each boy a fifty, with a smile and an occasional pat on the back, but she never heard him thank anyone.

A group of newly arrived fishermen sorted their catch on the beach.

"Come on. You walk like a sea turtle," he grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the fishermen.

He had told her once that she walked like a tortoise. Now it's the sea turtle. She's beginning to evolve.

They both looked at the fresh catch. The fishermen offered fish to them with big smiles. Such friendly people. Rachel was lost in her thoughts.

"Are you allergic to seafood?" he asked.

"Pardon?"

He took a deep breath and raised his voice.

"Didn't you clean your ears?! I asked if you're allergic to seafood."

"No, why?" Rachel wondered why she didn't counter his remark. Maybe she had grown tired of it after being with him for quite a time now. She really could get used to this guy.

Edward didn't answer her question but bought lobster and prawns. Live ones! Rachel had never seen them in full color. And all the while, she thought she could only eat lobsters in classy, expensive restaurants.

"We're having them tonight," he said when he noticed her staring at the lobsters he held in his left hand. But it seemed as if she was more interested in watching them squirm and struggle rather than eat them. Edward found it intriguing, but he didn't ask her about anything.

A few minutes later, they left the island. She volunteered to stash the supplies in the fridge while he started up the engine.

Edward noticed her excitement. She was all smiles telling him not to worry. She knows where to store everything. She practically pushed him to the engine room. He wondered what was that all about.

The other night, he allowed her to sleep on the reclining chair outside the cabin. She said she wanted to learn how to sleep outdoors. She slept peacefully, indeed. He knew because he had checked her up from time to time. She came in at twilight, her sinuses inflamed and she sneezed till her throat hurt. But she didn't complain a bit.