Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen - Secrets

Montreal Ski Resort

Montreal Quebec

January 1st

0200 hours

I glanced over at Erica, suddenly realising she wasn't there. Then Clarice started coughing. Dark smoke filled my lungs and eyes, just before Brane let go of my shoulder; so I bolted.

I ran as far as I could, my eyes still closed, my hands still grasping at the air, making sure I didn't hit anything. I was well out of the smoke when Erica rejoined me.

"They're tailing us," She said quickly. Then she grabbed my hand, and we veered off the road into a small ditch. Erica held my head low, so I couldn't see what was happening on the street, but I could hear the sounds of doors opening, as if the owners of shops were coming from their homes to see what was happening. Then came the sounds of stressed out people, all of them yelling over each other, trying to do something helpful. I hated hiding and not doing anything; for all we knew the enemies could be escaping. The villagers wouldn't be able to do anything. None of them were spies. None of them could do any damage to the 1000 pound gorillas that were Clarice's sidekicks.

"Erica we ne-" I started to hiss at her, but I stopped when she jabbed her knee into my ribs.

I doubled back, staying silent, listening to the sounds of people freaking out. For several minutes, I stayed in agony, trying not to shove Erica out of the way and jumping into the street to deal with the enemies myself.

It was sudden and quiet what happened next. From the loud noise, came the sound of a horn blasting through the air. And then all the noise stopped. Erica still had me pinned to the ground, and I couldn't see over the edge of the road.

"Everybody get inside!" A young female voice yelled. "I can handle this!"

Erica groaned quietly. I had to agree with her; this person wouldn't be able to stop the agents.

"OK, that's it," Erica said, and she stood up, revealing both of us.

"Erica..." I started, but I stopped abruptly when I saw who was standing on the street.

It was a girl with long curly brown hair, dressed from head to toe in black, just like Erica and I.

"I said get inside!" She yelled at us. Erica crossed her arms and gave her a dead stare.

"You can't handle this mess," Erica told her.

"We'll see about that. You do you, but I'd suggest you get inside,"

Neither Erica or I moved. She shrugged like she didn't care, but she was trying to convince us to leave.

"Don't say I didn't warn you,"

Erica was looking at her curiously now, realising that she had great confidence that she could do it alone.

"Hey you!" The mysterious girl yelled at the faint shadows of Clarice and her goons. "Go die in a hole!" Erica cringed, but didn't say anything.

Surprise hit me, when Clarice yelled back at us.

"Whatever you say!"

"Hold up," Erica started.

"Not now," The girl said, pulling a gun from her pocket.

For a fleeting second, I thought she was going to shoot someone. Then I felt stupid when she shot the ground near Clarice. One of her sidekicks yelped, and then then ran off in the other direction.