The Epilogue

I glanced out of the cottage window, looking out at the pouring rain hitting the roof making a musical drumming beat, and the winds blowing the trees around like tarps.

So long that I hadn't seen that view. But now that I was back, it felt even more rewarding. The sun was setting over the water, and I was sure my life was back to normal.

The floor behind me creaked. I snapped around, fearing the worst. It was only Erica.

"Hey," She said softly. "I didn't expect you to be up at this hour,"

"I'm not sure. I couldn't sleep. Too much adrenaline was surging through my veins," I replied quietly.

"Yeah, me too,"

She came and joined me on the window seat. For a while, we just sat there in silence, looking off over the water. The window seat was small, and I couldn't help but stare at Erica. She was much more interesting than the water I had been looking at for thirty minutes already. Rather than her normal black fashion, she was in plaid pyjama pants and a baggy top. It was weird seeing her in that wear. She looked over at me, and I quickly looked away, feeling my face burn.

"Ben," She said. I looked back at her. "The points have just clicked together for me.

"When we first met - by me jumping on top of you. When you were the only kid who'd figured out that my father was a scandal. When you overheard Zoe and I on the ski lift. When I kissed you. When you used the sedative I was under to worm your way into figuring out that I liked you more than anyone. When I was going to kiss you, Chip interrupted. When you thought I liked Noah so you risked your life and I kissed you again. When I held your hand by the fire; and now. When we have both realised there is not one without the other. Neither of us would have been on this mission if it hadn't been for each other. Yet together, we started the mission and completed it. Do you know what I'm getting at here?"

"Erica I-'' I didn't know what to say. I sat there, looking into Erica's eyes, thousands of thoughts flowing through my head at once. "I'm overwhelmed. It's not every day that someone tells me those memories,"

"Well then, think harder. You are a teenager, I'm practically an adult, but still, I'm telling you right now, that I like you,"

Suddenly I was scared. I knew Erica wouldn't judge me for anything I said next, but I was so randomly paranoid that I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I had never been in a relationship before. And no matter how long I had dreamed of Erica being my girlfriend, now that it was here, I was hoping it hadn't come yet.

"Ben, answer me,"

"I'm sorry - I just, don't know what to say,"

"Then don't say anything,"

And then, she kissed me.

Only, this time, it wasn't under a life or death situation. It wasn't interrupted. It wasn't because I had almost died. It was an honest-to-god kiss.

And it was with no one other than Erica Hale. 

Final, final note ~ I am going to miss all of you guys. Without you, I never would have continued the story, and without the constant emails of people commenting and telling me to update, I never would have had the courage to sit and write my heart out. I wouldn't have passed my terrible writers block around Christmas if it weren't for all of you. So I thank you with all my heart. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Hopefully someday I'll write a new fanfiction and you'll all come back. 

I'd just like to give a special mention to two amazing people, Cooper and Charlotte.

Cooper, who first recommended this series to me. And without that, I would never have written this story. But I can't forget that Charlotte who wrote other stories with me, and bugged me until I wrote more with her. It was these two people who inspired me to write this story. So therefore, I dedicate this story to you guys :)

Oh and of course, I have to give a big thanks to COVID-19, which sparked the flames in which my ideas came to me. And although this virus brought lots of downfalls, it also brought something new and good.

'From every bad thing that happens, something good is born.'