Chapter Five: Boom Town

The Doctor decided to stop off in Cardiff in order to refuel, leaving us with plenty of time to become more acquainted with our new home. I spend some time wandering around the seemingly endless corridors and rooms, finally returning with a steaming mug of coffee.

"Careful," Rose warns as I lean against one of the pillars. "If he sees you drinking in here, he'll kill you."

"He'll manage. Besides, spilling a bit of coffee won't do much to this. Doctor?"

A hum comes in reply. Appearing at the top of the scaffolding, some frayed wires in hand, his eyes zero in on the mug. "Yeah?" His voice has a little edge to it, almost apprehensive.

Downing the last of my drink, I place the empty mug in the fork of the pillar. "I love the TARDIS, I really do. But what in the name of Jupiter have you done to it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, for starters, when it lands, it sounds like it smokes twenty packs a day. The lever next to the green button is loose, the pistons are beginning to jam, and I think the alternator's faulty."

Nobody speaks for a moment.

Jack chuckles, watching as Rose's eyes light up with curiosity and surprise. "You've only been here a couple of days. How do you even know that?"

Shrugging, I send the Doctor a shy smile. "I could just feel it, I guess. Grew up working with all sorts of technology. We all learnt how to."

"And who's 'all'?" he enquires. "You never did say where you were from."

"Capitis, out in the Solaris System. I used to be a priestess of Minerva before I joined the Time Agency."

A grin spreads across his face. "Oh, Capitis! Haven't been there in a while. How is everything?"

My voice catches but the wistful smile remains fixed. I look to Jack for help. He clears his throat and is just about to speak up when we hear a knock.

Thank the Gods.

"Who the hell are you?"

"What do you mean, who the hell am I? Who the hell are you?"

Rose's eyes widen upon hearing the voice. I watched in amusement as Jack stubbornly rests a hand on his hip, "Captain Jack Harkness. Whatever you're selling, we're not buying."

"Get out of my way!"

"Don't tell me," he huffs. "Don't tell me, this must be Mickey."

The Doctor looks down, the scarlet light of his head torch glaring down on us. "Here comes trouble! How are you doing, Ricky boy?"

"Mickey."

Sending him a quick glare, Rose sighs. "Don't listen to him, he's winding you up."

"You look fantastic," he remarks with a dismissive shrug.

The two hug tightly, oblivious to Jack's smirk. "Aw, sweet! How come I never get any of that?"

"Buy me a drink first," the Doctor scoffs.

"You're such hard work."

"But worth it."

Rolling my eyes, I fake a pout. "What, are my hugs not good enough? Been best friends for six years and now you tell me?"

He doesn't hesitate. Immediately wrapping his arms around me, he whirls around with my feet barely dragging against the floor. I let out a yelp of surprise but hug him back, pausing when my eyes lock with the Doctor's. He pauses, and then, smiling awkwardly, he returns to work.