Chapter One Hundred and Nine: Chaos Is Come Again

My eyes dart across the Tardis console screen. Chewing nervously on my bottom lip, I read through it again and again. Between every trip, I have searched tirelessly for anything that may save the Doctor. I wait for him to be in bed or in his tinker cupboard so I can sneak back and look again. Every waking thought is consumed by worry.

Each search for information has given me nothing. Huffing, I exit the document, giving the screen a sharp push. It swings around the console, out of sight. My hands brace against the edge, my gaze drifting over to the Coin. It still sits in its little glass box by the pistons. The twin faces seem to stare at me. It's like they know something. I wish they'd give me a sign, tell me what to try next.

A pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind. I tense at first, then allow myself to smile as the Doctor hugs me and leans in to kiss my cheek. "Morning, gorgeous."

"Morning, handsome," I tease back.

His chin rests on my shoulder. When my hands rest over his, he gives me a squeeze. "Woke up and you weren't there. Is everything okay?"

I don't need to see him to know his suspicions, sensing the glare he directs towards the glass box. "Sorry."

He sways a little and I move with him, taking in the moment of blissful peace. "No need to apologise." Starting to trail kisses along my neck, he speaks again, his voice light with hope, "But... would you possibly want to, I don't know... go back to bed? I have an urge to cook you breakfast."

"You know, you don't need to keep doing that. I may not be a world-class chef, but I can operate a toaster just fine."

"Oh, I know. But I like spoiling my wife."

He makes such a simple sentence sound so perfect. Humming, I let my head fall back. "Say that again."

His lips brush against the shell of my ear and he murmurs, "Say what again? That I like spoiling my wife? Because I do. I do like spoiling my wife. Very much."

I let my eyes close. My mind drifts back to the inevitable, to thoughts of what may come next. My smile fades a little. Giving his hands a pat, I dislodge them from my waist and make my way around to the other side of the console. "I've been thinking about our next destination. And I think I know where we need to go."

"Oh?" He watches me curiously, one eyebrow arched. "And where's that?"

Already starting on the navigation, I pull the throttle.

The Tardis stops and he bounds over to the doors. When they open, his childlike excitement vanishes. Outside, everything is white. Snowy peaks rise in the distance. "Why?"

I take a deep breath. "You said Ood Sigma appeared to you. I've been wracking my brain for solutions, trying to figure out how I save you. But I think I need some help, and I think the Ood may know something." Passing him by and taking a coat from the hanger by the door, I step out onto the ice planet. My lips pull into a sympathetic smile as I glance back at him. "You can stay here if you want, but I'm getting answers."

He says nothing, simply turning and heading back into the warmth of the ship. Up ahead, Ood Sigma awaits us. He wears a black suit, just as he had the last time we met. His head bows politely as I reach him. "Greetings, Inara."

"Greetings. I believe you may know something. I'm hoping you can help me save my husband."

On cue, the Doctor sticks his head out of the Tardis, now adorned with a straw cowboy hat, sunglasses, and a garland of pink, synthetic flowers. "Ah! Now, sorry, there you are."

I roll my eyes and curse under my breath, "Oh, Minerva's sake."

"So, where were we? I was summoned, wasn't I? An Ood in the snow, calling me," he remarks, ambling towards us with his hands deep in his pockets, casual as ever. "Well, I didn't exactly come straight here. Had a bit of fun, y'know? Travelled about. Did this and that. Got into trouble, you know me. It was brilliant, wasn't it, darling?"