Chapter Ninety-Seven: Sun and Moon

WARNING: Gets a little steamy early on but nothing explicit. Also, big spoilers for Day of the Doctor (season 7)

"Come on, Inara! Haven't got all day."

With a great deal of grumbling and cursing, I stumble out from behind the Tardis wardrobe's changing divider, my eyes covered by a tie. Though my vision is blocked, there is plenty of light and the sound of his voice keeps me grounded. "We literally live in a time machine," I point out, resting my hands on my hips. "Could you please explain why I'm getting dressed with a blindfold?"

His hands find my shoulders to steady me and he guides me further out into the room. In search of reassurance, I grasp his elbows. "I told you, I want it to be a surprise. Oh, look at that." He tuts, feigning a chastising tone. "You've got the buttons all messed up."

I raise an eyebrow and look in his general direction as he starts to fix the front of my dress — of which all I know is its silky texture, beaded details and flowing skirts. "Have I really?"

"Well, not all of them. Just a couple. What, do I need an excuse now?" My chuckles are suppressed by a quick kiss. He starts to guide me out of the room and along the corridor, talking all the way, "Gotta keep the mystery alive every now and then, you know? Hey, maybe we should do this. Wild card adventures! Hit the randomiser and away we go."

My boots catch on a slight lip on the floor. I gasp, although I already know that he will catch me. Another giggle is coaxed from me and we continue to walk. "Don't think that's such a good idea," I mumble, "sure-fire way to end up in a very sticky situation."

"Had our fair share of those, though, haven't we?"

"Doctor," I huff, biting back a grin, "I might not be able to see you right now, but I have very good aim."

"I know."

We step outside. I pause to take in the feelings of my surroundings, the softness of grass underfoot, the cool breeze, the sound of birds in the distance. The tie is pulled away from my face. I blink to adjust to the light. We stand on a hill overlooking rolling fields and beaches. Then I look down at my dress, seeing its Tardis blue silk billowing out from my waist and the pearl design beading the flat bodice. Slits in the fabric along my arms puff out with white silk.

"Not bad," I praise.

He beams back at me, his hands in his pockets. His eyes travel over me. "Thought you'd like it. You look regal."

I roll my eyes and lift a finger to quiet him. "Let me see..." I sniff loudly. My arms outstretch on either side of me, fingers wiggling to feel the wind rush between them. "Little nippy... fresh air... with a hint of manure and BO, and a lot of cloves. I'm gonna wager a guess and say this is England, somewhen in the 1500s, yeah?"

"Not bad at all, Miss Luscinia!"

Flicking my hair over my shoulder, I put on a shy smile. "I do my best. So, when are we, exactly?"

"1562. Bit of a non-year."

"So why here? Why not... I don't know, the seventh star of the Wonder Configuration or Van Gogh or something?"

His eyebrow arches almost halfway up his forehead. "What," he squeaks in feigned offence, "can't I take my wife on a date?"

Heat creeps into my face. Stepping closer, I link my arm through his and gaze fondly up at him, my cheek pressing up against his shoulder. "Well, first, I'd have to be your wife."

"Keep your hair on! Blimey, you're impatient sometimes. Got a whole agenda and you're skipping to the good bit."

 "Oh, an 'agenda'?" I tease as we begin to walk. "What's that, then?"