two

alice was getting frustrated. she couldn't see anything! it had been weeks since she had gotten a vision, and that always meant something big was brewing. it was unsettling, so it obviously startled her family when she froze in the middle of a rant with foggy eyes.

edward quickly tapped into her mind and almost gasped at what he saw.

the back of a girl's head. everything was blurry, but they could make out dark hair and a curvier build. she was surrounded by the volturi kings on each side, all of them peppering her with affection and love as she laughed at their antics, swatting away their hands before pulling each of them in for a sweet kiss. all of the men gained goofy smiles as they gazed upon the girl, their love, their mate.

alice blinked as she was released from the future, jasper rubbing soothing circles into her back as he led her to a seat on the couch.

"oh my god," she whispered, staring at the ground in pure awe and a little bit of fear.

"looks like we're gonna be meeting the king's mate soon," she said with a wry grin. jasper looked at her in confusion.

"why do you say that?"

"because i was looking into edward's future when i got that vision."

_-_

maisie's room was just as she had left it. she and bella used to share the attic room, but charlie said they were too grown up for that now and asked them to decide who got which room. bella quickly called out that she wanted the bigger room and took off up the stairs, not even waiting for her father or sister to respond.

maisie had simply smiled at her dad. "it's fine! she needs more privacy than me anyways."

it's not like she needed much space. most of her belongings were photos. pictures of her and bella, her friends in phoenix, her and her mom, everyone that was important to her throughout her life. there were even a couple of jacob from when they were kids.

all of her pictures were quickly taped up on the ceiling. it helped her sleep, knowing the people she loved were always surrounding her and watching over her. her lavender comforter and pillows covered the full mattress, and any pictures she had left over were swiftly taped onto her mirror. proudly gazing around, she called it a job well done and went downstairs to help her dad with supper.

after all, she wanted a good meal before her first day of school.

_-_

in the cullen household, alice, jasper, and edward were all gathered in edward's room, taking quietly as to not alert their family to what they were discussing.

"we have to protect the girl," jasper hissed quietly, "if we can get her to volterra first, the kings have to reward us somehow. we can get out of here. i can't stand this diet anymore, and carlisle is clearly incapable of ruling a coven."

alice nodded sagely. "the girl should be coming to school in the next few weeks. as soon as we find her, we have to befriend her and explain what we are. once that's over, we just go to italy and get immunity in exchange for their mate. they can't really refuse, can they? and they definitely don't seem angry in that vision."

edward nodded, pacing his room as he considered things. "this should work. all we need to worry about is what emmett and rosalie will say when we suddenly spend all of our time around a human."

"we can say we're testing jasper's restraint," alice decided with a snap of her fingers. "like a long test. seeing how often he can be around her without drinking her dry. carlisle will talk about how brave he is for it and they won't have a clue. come on, do you really think emmett with all of his muscle will figure anything out?"

edward grinned wickedly. "it's time to get out of here."