Chapter 15

The dragon spent most of his time between the gardens of the palace and the Leitham Sea beside the docks, listening for news of the Young Wyvern and her crew. From what he had gathered, their arrival was imminent - their arrival in the land his brother had decided to call home.

The dragon barely refrained from rolling his eyes when he saw Destrian approaching him. The human advisor was constantly bothering the dragon with news from various lands, lands which the dragon had no interest in. Made even more annoying by the dragon's inability to respond or dismiss the advisor.

But today there seemed to be an added urgency to Destrian's steps. "Good morning, Holy Beast," he greeted.

The dragon simply stared back and waited for Destrian to say what it was he had come to say.

Which he did. "I have just received word that we are to expect a visitor."

If the dragon had had eyebrows, they would have furrowed at that. A visitor? For a split second, the dragon thought his brother had found him after all. That he'd been bested before the fight had even begun.

But Destrian said, "His name is Varug Blarekson, sire. Leader of the ogres from Gentis District. I am assured he has come alone."

The dragon turned away from Destrian, his non-verbal sign of rejection. He would not meet with an ogre. If it was truly concerning, then Destrian could handle it. But the dragon had larger concerns -

"He wishes to speak with Thea Wyvern."

The dragon paused at that and turned back to Destrian. How did an ogre know the Young Wyvern? And what matters could they possibly have to discuss?

Destrian continued, "He will most certainly come through the trees." He gestured to the tree-line at the edge of the gardens. And then the advisor studied the dragon, waiting for any sign of an order.

Despite his compulsively maintained focus on the Young Wyvern's crew, the dragon had to admit he was intrigued. He nodded, his indication to Destrian that he would see the ogre.

Destrian's shoulders lowered in relief. The dragon imagined the idea of turning an ogre away must have been truly terrifying to the small human. Clasping his perpetually trembling hands in front of him, Destrian angled his body toward the tree-line.

The dragon followed suit, waiting for the appearance of this presumptuous creature.

They didn't wait long before the ogre stomped his way into view. Varug Blarekson looked exactly as the dragon expected, if not a little fatter and a lot uglier. Though the ogre's size didn't even approach that of the dragon's, if the large beast laid his head on the ground, he could bring himself eye-to-eye with the ogre.

Which is how the dragon was able to see Varug's eyes widen in shock a moment before he dropped to his knee and lowered his head in supplication. "Holy Aestus, forgive me," he said in his inhumanly deep voice, "I did not mean to disturb you."

"Rise," Destrian said for the dragon. "Though you cannot understand the Holy Beast, you may say what you have come to say. He will listen."

Varug struggled up to his feet again. "Thank you, Holy Aestus. Though what I have come to say I had hoped to say to Thea Wyvern."

The dragon just stared back at him. Waiting.

Varug took a moment to reword the thoughts in his head before he raised his chin and spoke. "As I am sure you know, Holy Beast, the whole of Creasan was in a horrible state under the leadership of King Favian. Thea came looking for you in order to save us all from his tyrannical reign, and along that journey, she stopped in Gentis, where she asked for my help. I had denied it then, but I have come to offer it now."