Chapter 18

Fendrel hesitantly rapped his knuckles on Ana's locked bedroom door, shooting a cautious look over his shoulder, down the hall Thea had disappeared to search for their friends. Though she had suggested Fendrel come with her, the prince had opted for talking to his sister-in-law. Yes, it was a conversation he'd been meaning to have with her ever since they'd first arrived in Tamilem—made even more urgent by her sudden insistence on carrying a weapon—but Fendrel's choice to speak with her had less to do with concern and more to do with avoidance.

Avoiding Thea.

Or rather, avoiding the strange tension that had taken up space between him and Thea. It was a foreign feeling, one that seemed to gather clouds inside Fendrel's head so that all he could focus on were the thick eyelashes that rimmed her glimmering brown eyes or the gentle scratch of her calloused warrior's hand on his bare shoulder or the kind smile that had turned up her smooth, bow-shaped lips—

The door opened, jerking Fendrel back to the present. Ana spoke before Fendrel even had a chance. "I don't care what you've come to say. I am going, and if you've come to convince me otherwise, you ought to save your breath."

Fendrel blinked away any residual thoughts of Thea to focus on Ana. He'd known Ana his entire life, but the look on her face was one he didn't recognize. It wasn't anger or annoyance or fear. It was something else entirely. Something deeper. So Fendrel didn't bother arguing with her. "All right," he said.

Ana blinked. "That's it?"

"Yes. May I come in?"

Ana narrowed her eyes at Fendrel, certainly trying to decipher the trick he was playing, but she opened the door wider and Fendrel stepped through.

Just like the other rooms, Ana's room was large, cavernous, and inviting with a wonderful view of the sea. Her sword rested against one of the bedposts, and Fendrel eyed it carefully. It was a longsword, so it must've been very heavy for Ana to lug around all day. One of Thea's, Fendrel recognized. He remembered seeing it in her room that morning he'd woken up beside her after Maerwynn died.

Again, he forced himself to turn his thoughts away from the rebel leader. With controlled movements, Fendrel sat on the ottoman at the foot of the bed and glanced up at the queen. "Just tell me why."

"Why what?" Ana questioned.

"Well, you've never been to battle," Fendrel reasoned. "The most action you've encountered was the Leitham Serpent, which if I recall correctly, you did not fight—"

"I already told you, I don't want to hear this."

But he persisted, "You do not know how to use a sword or how to shoot an arrow, but you do know it is dangerous. So help me understand why you want to go."

Ana's eyes darkened but she didn't say anything.

"You want to kill herself?" Fendrel prodded. "Is that it? Be reunited with your son? I loved Althalos, too, Ana. He was my nephew, but—"

"Shut your mouth," she snapped at him.

"There are easier ways to kill yourself than a dragon."

"I am not trying to kill myself."

Fendrel paused at that and stared at her. "You're not?" he repeated slowly.

Ana clamped her mouth shut and moved to pick up her sword. "We should be leaving by now," she said. "I ought to see what Thea—"

"Wait a moment." Fendrel was on his feet again, eyes searing as he studied her. The deeper, darker look he'd noticed before still shone in her eyes. And Fendrel thought he knew what it was: resentment. "Is this...is this about Favian?" he asked.