Chapter 7

Y/N's Pov

I wake up in Hange's arms. For a moment I don't know what's going on, the memories of last night blurry. Hange murmurs something in her sleep, shifting slightly and pulling me in closer. Her arm is wrapped around my waist and my back is pressed in close to her chest. A blanket is thrown over us and even though the couch isn't exactly made for two people like this it doesn't feel that way. I've never been more comfortable. Never felt safer. 

Then I remember last night. My nightmare. Hange's reaction. I close my eyes bracing myself against the onslaught of horrific memories of that night. Without realising I snuggle in closer to Hange, like I can hide from them. 

Hange hums slightly and her head droops forward, resting in the crook of my neck. Her breath is warm against my skin, and I can't help never wanting this never to end. I think back over these past weeks. To when I first met Hange, to all of our experiments, all the time spent together. Somewhere along the way I started wanting this. I'd pushed those feelings away because they weren't practical and probably weren't reciprocated. 

But for now, just for a little while longer, maybe I could be a bit selfish. I close my eyes again, enjoying the feeling of her lying next to me. 

Yes, just a few more moments of selfishness, and I could move on. 

Hange's Pov

I don't want this to end. I hold Y/N in my arms, her face so beautiful and peaceful in its slumber. She smells nice, like she always does. She smells like her. I can't get the image of last night out of my head though. Her distress and upset. The story she told me, her history. It makes my blood boil. 

I want to kill those bastards. 

I brush a piece of hair out of her face. I know I shouldn't be doing this, I know that I shouldn't indulge myself like this, hold her like this. These past weeks with her have been a whirlwind. We've spent so much time together it feels like we've known each other years. I never thought I'd meet someone like her. 

And somewhere along the way I started wanting more. 

Chances of her wanting that too... I don't know, don't want to know. I don't want to lose her either way. So if I can just have a few more moments of this, of indulgence, then I could move on. 

Just a few more moments, that's it. 

~~~

A week later

Y/N's Pov

I'm so excited yet nervous that I think I might explode. All around me Scouts sit on their horses, waiting for Erwin to commence the expedition to capture an abnormal. I can't believe we're doing this, I can't believe that we might actually get to experiment on an abnormal. All that we could learn... it was just such and incredible opportunity-

"You look like you're about to burst a blood vessel," Jean mutters to me. 

I look over to him smiling. "I'm just exited."

"I am nearly positive you were dropped on your head as a child," he grumbles. 

"Oh yeah?" I gesture to all the horses around us. "And how's the family reunion going?"

Jean's eyes widen, outrage contorting his face. "Why you little-"

"Now, now children," our Captain calls over his shoulder. "Play nice."

Hange chuckles and I look over to her. She's riding in front of me. Normally me and my squad would be in a different position in the formation. But due to the nature of this expedition we were riding with Hange and her squad. I can't help but notice how pretty Hange looks beneath the glow of the morning sun.