Part Two

They found the boy in a ditch. Mud coated the knees of his dungarees. Attached to the lapel of his wool coat was a wet note. It simply said, "We are sorry. His name is Albert." The nuns of the school brought the boy in, bathed him and gave him fresh clothes. They added his name to the school registry. Albert for his first name, and in place of the surname, one of them wrote "Foundling."
Albert was smaller than the rest of his class. He was quiet and did anything he could to keep the attention off of him. One day, he stumbled upon a book in the cemetery on the west side of the school. Among the dead former headmasters, students, and nuns sat this book propped against a headstone. He picked it up, pulled the band from its cover, turned to the first page, and saw a secret no one else could have known. Below that, another thing he had told no one in his life. The first line said:
October 19th, 1943, St. Francis School For Boys, Albert Foundling took food from the school kitchen and hid it in his cupboard.
The second line said:
March 5th, 1944, St. Francis School For Boys, Albert Foundling wished that his headmistress, Desdemona Smith, were dead.
A wave of guilt washed over Albert. He wanted to hide. If his secrets were so readily available, then others must know as well. He faked sick for nearly a week. Occasionally, while lying in his bed, he would pull the book from behind his pillow and see if the words were still there. When he had decided to get dressed and partake in his regular activities, he glanced at the book and fresh ink looked back at him.
September 2nd, 1944, St. Francis School For Boys, Albert Foundling lied about being sick for six and a half days.
These were the worst things he had ever done. He scrubbed the page with a rubber eraser, hoping to break up a bit of the ink. It seemed to only darken. He tore out the page and slowly the words faded. But they reappeared on the next page in the book. No one was to see this book. Over the years, its pages would fill with more terrible things that he was to commit. He decided he would keep it on him at all times.