Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Cashmere is a classic rich kid. Every time her parents leave on business trips, she leaps on the chance to exploit their mansion-sized house in the form of throwing parties. All she has to do is tell one person, who tells another, who tells another, until the entire school knows about it. It’s not very difficult for word to spread at this damn school. You know whether you’re welcome, of course. The Loser’s End freaks are sensible enough to know to steer clear while we cheerleaders know we’re more than welcome.

Marvel and I agreed to meet at the house. I suggested this. Mostly because I’m not at all keen on the idea of sharing a cab with Marvel, who will try and touch my thigh every few seconds. I hope he realizes that we can’t fuck tonight. I’m clearly not in the state for sex. Unless he wants to do all the work, that is.

The party was due to begin at 8:00pm but when I arrive at 7:55, it seems like things have been in full swing for quite some time. I don’t know where to meet Marvel (all we agreed on was meeting at the house, the thought of where exactly at the house didn’t really dawn on me until I was hobbling up the steps leading to Cashmere’s house).

On my way into the house, I’m shocked to find Mellark sitting on the bench on the porch. “What are you doing here?” I ask in surprise.

Mellark looks at me, his surprise equating mine, and shrugs. “Delly’s parents are out of town and she’s staying with my family for the weekend. I have to look after her. The only way my parents would let her come was if I came with her.”

Of course. That would the only reason someone as cool as Cashmere ever allow a loser on her front porch. Delly is awesome and can be the heart and soul of a party. You don’t party without a Cartwright there. It’s like a national rule or something. Ignoring Mellark and walking on, I use my crutches as a personal space enforcer. I beat anyone who gets too close out of the way and push people with them if they’re in my way. Cashmere’s house is huge and earlier tonight I reconsidered even going. I knew I’d be exhausted within five minutes from having to drag this anchor-a.k.a. my cast-around. I dismissed the very idea, however, as it would be foolish to miss the party. Cashmere’s parties are always monumental and I missed the last one to Spanish Flu so I’m not missing out again.

“Katniss!” Clove pushes through the masses to reach me, pushing a drunk who touched her ass into the staircase on her way. The idiot was clearly wasted and simply allowed himself to roll down the steps instead of trying to save himself. “You made it.”

“Of course I did,” I say breathlessly. Shit, I’m sweating. I dab my forehead with the back of my hand and try to breathe slowly to get oxygen back into my lungs.

“Maybe you should sit down,” Clove says, eyeing me cautiously, like she expects me to pass out right before her eyes.

“I’m fine,” I say. I flick my hair out of my eyes and flash my winner smile at her. Clove rolls her eyes but doesn’t question me. I know she doesn’t believe me but it wouldn’t be the first time.

“Oh my god!” A tipsy Leevy pushes stumbles in from the kitchen. Leevy is the daughter of the head of the school’s board of governors so she can basically get away with anything. She climbed the popularity ladder by handing out test answers like candy without getting in trouble with the teachers. “Katniss!” She looks at my leg, staring at it intensely for a good half minute. She eventually meets my eyes again and gushes, “I have to sign your cast!”