The Unknown

With a heavy heart and mind, you finally made it to your feet after seeing that the cost had become clear. The alleyway was empty, other than accompanied by the thick smoke from the gas pipes hanging from the apartment buildings covering you into the tight space, and the sound of cars passing by from the traffic not far from where you were standing. Your injuries were small and sustainable, easy to maintain and you knew that you wouldn't need medical attention. But from the pain in the side you of cheek and the taste of Iron in your mouth, you knew your emotional stability wouldn't be the same.

Taking steady steps out from the shadows and into the street, your mind caved, opening the flood gates as tears began to fall emotionlessly down your cheeks. You never were a 'dramatic' cryer, even from being a kid. You just... Get over it, let it out and move on with life. Yet you couldn't help but feel defeated. A failure to life surrounding you. You let someone touch you like that, inflict pain that you didn't deserve. You weren't sure whether to call yourself a coward or a victim, who's fault was it really?

You knew the one place you didn't want to be right now and that was anywhere remotely recognisable in which Carl could find you. So, you made your beeline for Tom's house. You knew he'd probably question the undying shit out of you, and pester you until he knew you were absolutely fine, and then want to smash Carls' face in, but right now you didn't care. You wanted someone to look you in the eye and remind you that everything was real before you slipped again.

The trip around town was harder than you had first anticipated, judging by the fact that you were leaking and swallowing your own blood and your head was spinning on its axis. At any moment you could have sworn your stomach, or even nervous system, would have exploded from the mix communications of blood coming and going. You could feel the muscle beneath your lip already beginning to swell and you were confident it would leave more than a nasty bruise.

Aside from stumbling a few times, the last few minutes of heavy steps were boring, the scenery remaining the same aside from the odd few glances. It came to no surprise that Tom was at the door almost immediately after you messaged him, letting him know you were on your way up in the steps. He practically met you halfway. You were glad to see him smiling, that tight-lipped grin on his face enhancing the crow feet that some people had grown to judge him by, but in your eyes, they were smiling lines and they only made him that inch bit more beautiful. Yet, it all faded when he saw you stumble, hand bracing the wall and the blood that was leaking from behind your lips.

His own feet caught on the doormat as his hands met your sides, holding you up against the wall. His eyes were filled with fear, curiosity and panic, thumbs already massaging into your sides while he tried to catch your eyes.

"Y/N? What happened? Are you okay? Can you hear me?"

"Ssh!" you shushed him, hand resting on his shoulder as you wobbled back into balance, "my heads killing"

"Y/N what happened to you? You're bleeding" he quivered, eyes so soft as they landed on your skin. He was so gentle, practically cradling you like a child as his thumb traced over your bottom lip, smearing the blood over your skin. "Who did this to you?"

"No one," you lied, hand palming your sore cheek, "I got into an accident at work, it's nothing, really" you reassured him, sticking your tongue out to push his thumb away with a smile. There was no way on earth or in space that you were telling Tom what really happened. As much as you would give an arm and a leg to watch him beat the living fuck out of your boyfriend, you didn't really want to see either of them get hurt... Especially not Tom. Besides the point, you didn't want to overdramatise the situation, you would be fine. You were sure about it.

"Stop looking at me like that" you raised a brow, "It's just a little bit of blood"

"Y/N have you seen your mouth?" he shook his head, lifting your bottom lip. Your white teeth were now smothered in the red sticky liquid, tongue barely noticeable in the river. "You sure I don't need to drive your ass to the hospital?"