Chapter 2

Harry, Ron and those in his year followed the man known as Hagrid down a slender road. Leading to what looked like a dock of boats. Harry Ron and few others walked into the boat. They were enchanted to go over the water to Hogwarts. As they walked in, Harry noticed how grand the school was. The first year's climbed up the stairs. Meeting a woman at the top, looking stern.

“Welcome to Hogwarts.” she began. “Shortly, you'll pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. There are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.”

As the woman said ‘Slytherin’, a few boys were nodding to each other.

“While you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn points. Any rule-breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points wins the house cup.”

Before she could continue, a boy yelled “Trevor!” grabbing his toad from the front of the line.
She gave him a look of displeasure.

“Sorry.” the boy added.

“The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily.” said the woman before going into the great hall.

A slick-haired blond boy looked at Harry before saying. “It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts.”

The silence broke, people whispering his name under their breaths.

“This is Crabbe and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy.”

Ron Snickers.

“Think my name is funny, do you? I've no need to ask you. Red Hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley.” said the blond boy. Full of arrogance.

Turning back to harry, he added.
“You'll find out some wizarding families are better than others Potter. You don't want to be making friends with the wrong sort.”

He then looked from Ron to Harry.
“I can help you there.” said the boy, extending his hand.

Harry didn't like how the blond-haired boy treated his new friend. He looked down at his hand, and then back up at him.

“I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself thanks.” rejecting his hand.

Hermione, Ron and some students smiled at this.

Not soon after, the woman came back.

“We're ready to for you know. Follow me please,” she said, turning her back to the students as the doors opened.

The room was filled with long dining tables, in four sections. Filled with students much older than them. It felt warm and welcoming. Walking straight through the middle. The ceiling looking like the dark sky.

Harry could hear Hermione saying.
“It isn't real, the ceiling. It's bewitched to look like the night sky.” she paused before adding. “I read about it in Hogwarts, A History.”

As they got closer to the front, the woman walked onto the platform. There was a stool with a hat on it. It was then Ron told him about the ceremony.

“The hat talks, it is placed on our heads and sorts us into one of the four houses. I'd hate being in Slytherin. There are more bad wizards from that house.”

Harry nodded.

“May I have your attention please.”

The students attentively listened to what the woman was about to say.

The woman went on about the sorting process.

“I will call your name, then I will place the sorting hat on your head and it will sort you into your houses.

“Hermione Granger” called the woman.

Hermione came forward, whispering to herself. “Oh no, okay relax.”

Ron turned to Harry saying.
“Mental that one, I'm telling you.”

Harry thought she was alright, but nodded in agreement with him.

She took a seat and the hat was placed on her head, it took a few seconds before the hat said. “Gryffindor!”

The Gryffindor students at their table cheered. Accepting her in welcoming like.

Ron looked a little discouraged, thinking he may be in the same house as Hermione.

“Draco Malfoy,” she called.

Draco walked forward, taking a seat. The hat barely touched his head.

The hat said. “Slytherin!”

The boy happily joined his house.

The woman kept calling others names.

As it continued, Harry's scar began to heart. 

“What is it?” asked Ron.

“Nothing,” said Harry, brushing it off.

Soon it was Ron's turn.

“Ronald Weasley.” called the woman.

He nervously walked to the stool and took a seat.

“Aha, another Weasley. I know what to do with you. Gryffindor!”

Ron Happily joined his house, sitting near his older brothers.

Not long, it was Harry's turn.

“Harry Potter.”

Ron and Hermione, and the rest of the students were patiently awaiting which house he would be in.

Taking a seat, he had a bit of a conversation with it. Telling it not to put him in Slytherin. The hat tried to change his mind, but he couldn't persuade him.

“Alright then, okay. Gryffindor!”

Harry smiled, talking a seat across from Hermione and beside Ron.

Harry and his friend Ron enjoyed themselves before going to bed. Harry drifting off to sleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

|••••••|

A/N

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, there will be more to come next week.