Four

Marissa sits on the sofa in the main carriage of the train, her knees tucked up to her chest and her bottom lip wedged between her teeth. Finnick is beside her, fiddling with a loose thread on the sleeve of his sweater and, Sterling is watching the television intensely, her once ruined makeup washed off and reapplied. The Capitol TV is playing a recap of all of the Reaping's and announcing the tributes for this year's Quarter Quell. Nobody that Marissa and Finnick are friends with from the first half of the districts was chosen but, when Johanna Mason is reaped for District Seven, Marissa has a fresh round of tears stinging in her eyes. The youngest tributes are Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark - Haymitch Abernathy had been chosen originally but, Peeta volunteered in his place.

"A lot of the tributes are much older than you two, that gives you an advantage," Sterling finally speaks up, interrupting the thick silence that looms over them. "One and Two will already be planning to be allies so, you'll have to find allies with other districts. Maybe Katniss and Peeta would be willing if you convince them."

"Maybe," Finnick nods, not really interested in the woman's words. The couple appreciate that Sterling is attempting to help them but, it is not really necessary. Sterling sighs, pursing her lips and not trying to push the conversation any further. Marissa is still chewing on her lip, something she tends to do when she is distressed or overwhelmed so, Finnick places his hand on her knee and shoots her a small smile. "Sweetheart, why don't we have something to eat and then we can get some sleep?"

"I'm not hungry," Marissa dismisses, shrugging his hand off of her knee and turning her head to glare out of the window. Finnick's smile falters but, he does not relent.

"Mari, you have to eat. We didn't eat at home today," Finnick presses gently. "Mags would be furious if she found out you were skipping all these meals."

At the mention of the old lady, Marissa sniffles lightly. She quickly wipes a tear from her face and takes a deep breath to calm herself. "Do you think they're angry with us?"

"My love, nobody is upset with you. Mira, Mags, and Annie will understand that we weren't allowed to say goodbye to them. They saw the Peacekeepers take us away. You've done nothing wrong," Finnick promises her. He moves closer to her, engulfing her in an embrace. "You were so brave volunteering for Annie like that."

"She doesn't deserve to go back," Marissa shakes her head, tilting it back to rest against his broad shoulder.

"Nobody does," Finnick says, firmly. "Why don't we see if we can get you any of those chocolates that you like?"

Marissa reluctantly agrees to eat dinner with Finnick and Sterling with the promise that for dessert, she can have a box of her favourite chocolates from the Capitol. The three of them sit around the table, quietly eating the steaks that they have been prepared. Marissa sometimes wonders what the other Districts get offered when they are in the Capitol because there is never a seafood dish in sight on the District Four train. She knows that District Ten are responsible for livestock so perhaps they get the fish from District Four.

"I like your new hair, Sterling," Finnick breaks the silence and the lady in the blue wig beams.

"Thank you! I had it done especially to match the blue from the shirt you wore at your first reaping," Sterling tells him. "I knew that you would be chosen as you were the only male victor so I thought it would show that we're a team."

"It's lovely," Finnick forces a grin after the mention of the Reaping for his first Games. They do not speak for the remainder of the meal, but Marissa can see that Sterling is choking back tears as she forces down her steak dinner. The District Four escort does not break down, however, until Marissa is finally allowed to eat her chocolates. Finnick reaching out to steal one from Marissa playfully and the redhead slapping his hand away from the box is what sets Sterling off.