Twelve

The air is thick as the four victors stumble through the jungle. Their jumpsuits cling to their skin, still wet from the water and slick with their own sweat now. Marissa and Finnick have never been inside a proper jungle before. They're used to the heat as District Four is relatively warm all year round but, the humidity and lack of fresh water are taking their toll on both of them. The two from Twelve struggle the most. Marissa remembers the coal district from her Victory Tour and then Annie's; it's cold there.

Peeta powers through it still, taking the lead and slashing through thick vegetation with his long knife. Katniss has hung back slightly, keeping Marissa and Finnick in her view but, the two of them seem to be pretty occupied with holding each other's hands. She decides that, for now, the couple are not a threat.

"You okay?" Finnick asks Marissa, noticing that she is panting for breath, beads of sweat dripping down her forehead. The path they're taking is a steep incline and, Marissa's short legs are aching, crying out for her to rest but, she can't.

"I'm okay," she assures him. "It's just hot."

"Hopefully, we'll find some water soon. That will help," Finnick responds. The four of them are sweltering and, Marissa's grip on Finnick's hand only makes the couple warmer but, she's too afraid to let go of him.

They carry on forward for a long time before Marissa sheepishly requests a rest, dropping rather ungracefully to the jungle floor and stretching out her legs. Peeta sits down beside her, resting his back against a tree. Finnick doesn't allow himself to relax, his trident held tightly in his hands, his stance protective and, Katniss decides to scale one of the rubbery trees to scope out the arena.

"Are your legs hurting?" Peeta asks Marissa, noticing the pained look on her face every time she moves the short limbs.

"Yeah. I guess short legs aren't the best for climbing up hills," Marissa responds lightly. The blond baker chuckles upon seeing her grin before patting his left leg.

"I had to get the bottom of my left leg amputated after last years Games. The cut on it got infected," the boy tells her and, she frowns, remembering the horrors of the previous Hunger Games. Peeta doesn't mention how he had acquired said cut but, Marissa knows it was a slash from Cato's sword that had done it.

"Does it hurt?" Marissa questions, her brows drawn together.

"A little," Peeta shrugs before a smile twitches on his lips. "The worst part about it is how loud I am when I walk. Katniss kept getting annoyed at me last year because I walked too heavy and, now it's even worse."

"Well, I guess we won't be sending you on any stealth missions then."

"That would probably be for the best," Peeta agrees with her. Katniss climbs down from the tree now, conflict in her eyes. Finnick picks up on this immediately, keeping his defensive stance with his trident.

"What's going on down there, Katniss? Have they all joined hands? Taken a vow of non-violence? Tossed the weapons in the sea in defiance of the Capitol?" Finnick asks.

"No," Katniss replies flatly.

"No," Finnick repeats. "Because whatever happened in the past is in the past. And no one in this arena was a victor by chance." Finnick eyes Peeta momentarily. "Except maybe Peeta."

It's no secret that Peeta is better than any of them in the arena. Marissa took down the victor from Five without blinking an eye and, Finnick had been prepared to do the exact same. Katniss had shot at Enobaria, Gloss and Brutus, all of whom were unarmed at the time.

The sight of the arrow in Katniss' bow, which she is no doubt contemplating sending flying through Finnick's brain, makes Marissa uncomfortable. She shakily climbs to her feet and stands in front of her boyfriend. Her hand twitches for one of her knives but, she does not reach for it.