Forty-six

A/N: I'm sorry this took so long after the last chapter which ended on such a big cliffhanger - to make up for it this is a fairly long chapter :) Let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Mira is the first to reach Marissa, dropping down to her knees with teary eyes and trembling hands beside her sister's lifeless body.

"Marissa," Mira says shakily. She reaches out and shakes her older sister's shoulders, hoping she will snap out of it and wake up. When Marissa doesn't move, tears fall from Mira's eyes, and she shakes her even harder. "Marissa, wake up!"

Finnick, fuelled with adrenaline and pure panic, shoves Mira out of the way, and the young girl falls onto the ground. Her wrist twinges painfully from landing on it funny, but it's the least of her concerns. She sits up, trembling as she does and looks down at Marissa. Finnick's closed off her nostrils and is breathing air into her lungs. He's shaking too, but he doesn't let himself cry as he rips her protective gear out of the way of her chest and pumps her chest over her heart.

"Come on," he whispers through gasps of air. Mira sobs as she watches Finnick desperately trying to revive the redhead. Marissa doesn't respond to his attempts, still staring up, unaware of her surroundings. The rest of the squad is gathered around Boggs, who is still alive but quickly bleeding to death after the bomb claimed his legs, but Peeta isn't with them. He's crouched beside a wall, hitting his head against the butt of his gun as he mutters frantically to himself.

"It's Katniss' fault. She's the reason we're here. She killed Marissa," he seethes under his breath.

"Marissa?" Mira calls out again, reaching to touch her sister's face lightly. She quickly moves her hand away when Finnick starts to breathe air into Marissa's lungs again. "Finnick, it's not working!"

"It's working," Finnick denies, shaking his head frantically. "She's not dying."

"Katniss did this. She's going to kill us all. She's a mutt."

"Come on, Marissa," Finnick pants, still pumping her chest. "You're okay."

"She killed my friends. She killed my family. It's her fault."

"Please, Marissa," Finnick begs, and he's about to give up because minutes have passed and she hasn't taken a breath, but she suddenly gasps, and Finnick collapses beside her. "You're okay."

Marissa wheezes; she struggles to catch her breath as Mira wraps her arms around her older sister.

"You were dead!" Mira cries, sobbing into Marissa's shoulder. "You were actually dead!"

Still struggling for air and extremely disoriented, Marissa weakly hugs Mira back. She holds her tightly, trying her best to reassure her little sister. "Well, I'm okay now."

Mira nods, pulling away from Marissa and wiping away her tears. She stands up from the ground, and with the help of Finnick, who has recovered from the exhaustion of resuscitating Marissa.

"Can you stand, honey?" Finnick asks softly, holding onto her trembling body weakly.

"Yeah, yeah... I'm fine," Marissa nods clumsily, trying to leave Finnick's tight grip. Finnick cautiously releases her, and she stumbles forward a bit, swaying on the spot before her knees give way. Luckily, Finnick catches her and keeps her upright.

"Just take your time, Mari," Finnick tells her quietly. "It's okay."

Mira reattaches the protective gear to Marissa's uniform so that she's fully protected again, and Jackson starts to order the squad around.

"Prepare to retreat!"

"Finnick!" Mira shouts in fear, her face falling in horror as she notices black oily liquid flooding the street. It billows between buildings, creating a dark wall which speeds towards the squad.