Agony-Part 3

"Don't look down, out into nothing. Don't look down, searching for something."

Julian looked into his soup bowl with empty eyes. There was too much salt Julian had thought, although he'd never mention that to his mother. No talking around the dinner table. Or ever in-fact.

"Hey Jules pass be that bowl," Chresti, his oldest sister poked him as he picked up the bowl and gave it to her. She was nearer to it than he was. Julian scowled at how odd she was. She gave him a sad smile.

Julian's two other brothers, and his three other sisters sat around the table all flinging food at each other. Lila was laughing until she cried. Cried. The words parched Julian's tongue. She was innocent. She did nothing. His father was late to meals again, as always working in the factory. Julian liked his father; liked him in the way he never got to talk to him much so he didn't have reason to be afraid of him. Julian looked sideways at his mother. She was smiling and laughing. Talking to Chresti mostly. Julian decided his dinner was over.

"Hey Lila, you can come to room when you're done if you like," Julian breathed the words, wishing he could whisper it into her ears.

Instead, the whole table fell silent. Except Lila.

"YAY! Ooooooo can we watch that movie about giant spiders?" she asked her eyes beaming.

Julian nodded and scurried along to his bedroom. He didn't like when everyone looked at him. But he did it for Lila, as he would do for his other siblings.

"Mimo?" Lila slowly opened Julian's bedroom door and stood quietly peering through.

Lila took a while before she could process what was happening. She had never seen her brother like this. The brother that had cared for her, ruffled her hair during movies, shown her how to describe pictures, and made sure Lila was always laughing, was lying on the ground, his mouth and face lurching in a look of agony. Julian screamed. Lila screamed.

Lila got pushed past the door as Julian's mother came hurrying in. Julian made a mental note to tell her to never push Lila again. Julian doubted he'd remember anything at all. Doubted he'd ever feel again. The pain in his stomach was so intense he could barely feel it. His mother dropped to her knees and picked him up, her hands clutching a liquid bottle and her face contorted. Her eyes wide. Her lips parched. Her cheeks pale. Julian saw it. There was no denying it. His mother was looking at her son with hate and fear.