3.14

"She's Better Now"

It's official. Mona's back.
From: Hanna

Monday mornings were generally a terrible drag. However, with that text, Halle grew certain that they could definitely be worse. Halle swore if it were delivered while she was still in bed, she would've buried herself deep within the safety of her duvet and never left that cocoon of comfort. But it was her senior year, and Halle had to graduate if she was ever going to escape Rosewood, and she craved desperately to do exactly that.

A nagging feeling came in, she had nothing to stay for.

The fire inside from the ruins of her and Jason still burned. Hot coals of weighty regret from their miserable goodbyes and bright embers from where he came back for her scolded her skin. It seemed to Halle only she could see the scars from him burning her, fleshy and raw; Halle could kill to feel the last sting again.

Sat on her bed, Halle fiddled her feet into her chunky boots. Beside her, laid out on top of her thick duvet, an alarm on her alarm on her phone began to ring. TAKE MORNING MEDS. Halle closed her eyes and groaned; instantly her breath hitched.

When she opened them again, they went straight to the olive jewellery box. Since A had invaded the sanctity of her bedroom, broken every boundary she foolishly believed she had, Halle hadn't felt safe. Any safety she had evaporated and in its place grew twisted, dark fear.

A was there.

Always.

Watching. Waiting.

And every strike hit with purpose.

Halle wasn't meant to feel safe. She was meant to be scared to death, fearing for her life because A had it in their hands. Her sanity wasn't even off limits. A had their grimy fingers in that also. Meddling, in hope to knock the balance out of Halle's life, and A succeeded every time.

Her medication wasn't in that jewellery box anymore. Halle hid it elsewhere. Crossing her room, she went into her closet and found her laundry basket. Convinced nobody — not even A — would go routing through it, Halle picked up a large hoodie from on top and revealed the container inside; In that, were her pills bottles, tucked away securely from anyone.

Once she tossed the ones she needed into her palm, Halle put the container and hoodie back on top and shut the wardrobe doors. She let out a breath and ventured back to bedside table to swallow back her pills with the glass of water there. Halle knew her day could start after that.

Collected up her bag, Halle exited her bedroom and headed downstairs. She was barely at the bottom when she clued into a conversation between her parents. Her ears picked up, and the closer she got, the clearer the argument's subject became to her.