4.08

"The Guilty Girl's Handbook"

A ringing woke Halle Brewster

A ringing woke Halle Brewster. She had been fast asleep, having the smoothest time dreaming without a nightmare ruining it, when her cellphone began to ring. It cut through the sound night's sleep, and Halle had woken to hear Hanna stir with the groan.

Halle had stopped over. After she had succeeded in feeding Hanna, the two did facemasks and watched Jennifer's Body before bed. Instantly, upon drifting off, Halle realised she slept easier when she was beside someone. The nightmares didn't come. She dreamt of nothing scary or important. She hadn't got to decify clues from her raging, overworked brain and its leaking subconscious. All Halle had to do was sleep.

But then she was woken up. That peace had been disrupted. As she strained her eyes to see in the dark bedroom, Halle's flung her arm out to reach her phone. She rolled onto her side and met the blinding light from her screen.

Blocked Number Calling...

Hazy, still half-asleep, Halle grumbled and swiped to answer. She raised it to her ear and asked groggily, "Hello?" As soon as a spoke, a loud beeping sound was heard and caused Halle to wretch her head away from her cell. When she put it back, she heard an automated voice sound.

"This is a pre-paid call from..."

A collection of static chatter sounded abruptly, then a heavy sigh was exhaled. "Jason DiLaurentis..." His voice haunted her. Halle's body reacted gravely when she heard it. Every cell in her body was set alight and her heart pounded deafeningly. He sounded defeated. Resigned. He was in a police cell and he called her.

The chatter stopped, and the automated script began again.

... An inmate at the Philadelphia Police Department's twenty-second and third precinct.
All phone-calls are subject to recording and monitoring. to decline this call, press nine.
To accept this call, press one now. Thank you.
Your call has been accepted."

It happened in a flash. Halle accepted the call so fast, she feared she may have pressed the wrong button in her haste. That fear went away when she heard the static noise of a station again and Jason breathing.

"Jason?" she questioned lowly. Halle had to be quiet; Hanna was asleep next to her, sharing the same warm duvet. "Jason, is that you?"

He breathed down the line. He was clearly struggling to open his mouth and talk. He hated himself for doing it, Halle could hear the self-loathing with each tired, lonely breath. "... Yeah... It's me," came Jason's voice. Halle hadn't heard it in weeks and almost broke down the second she heard it. "I—Uh..." Jason came to a slow realisation how wrong it had been to call her. His charm twisted into cheap turmoil. "Sorry, I know I shouldn't have called you. Were you asleep?" he asked sweetly, as if he was conscious of waking her despite knowingly doing so.