New Dangers

Rollan stood at the bow of the ship, looking out at Greenhaven Castle. It was a beautiful day for his return, Essix was out circling ahead and he felt good to be back.

Then he remembered the message that he had received from Conor and Lenori. Rollan was visiting his mother in Concorba with Meilin after defeating the Oathbound and clearing the Greencloaks from crimes that they didn't commit. After Meilin left to visit Abeke, a messenger pigeon came to him with a note written on onion skin. It had said:

Rollan,
Return to Greenhaven as soon as possible.
More visions, possible danger ahead.
- Conor

Rollan had suspected that Conor was having more visions. But why? Erdas had been through so much over the past year, what else could happen?

Forgetting about the message, Rollan felt excited to see his friends again, especially the other Great Beast summoners. He wondered if they had been called back too. Out of everyone though, he was more looking forward to seeing Meilin again.

The ship docked at the port of Greenhaven. Essix shrieked and landed on Rollan's shoulder.

"Have a nice flight?" Rollan asked as he stroked the falcon's feathers.

Essix eyed him and pecked his finger.

"Ouch! What's gotten into you?" frowned Rollan.

"Rumour has it that the castle is haunted," another Greencloak said.

"What?" Rollan questioned, confused.

"I haven't been here in months. Last time I was here, I was locked up," he moved passed Rollan.

With a pang of sorrow, everything started coming back to him. The Second Devourer War, the Wyrm and then the Oathbound. Rollan grabbed his suitcase and made his way off the ship and to the guard.

"Hello Rollan," the guard said. "I'm afraid I must search your bags, is that alright?"

Being the summoner of Essix, Rollan also remembered that he was basically famous. "Sure."

As the guard searched Rollan's luggage, he looked up at the castle again. Even though the day was sunny and clear, Greenhaven castle looked as if it was falling apart, which was somewhat true as there were broken windows and holes in the walls. Vines had also grown over the castle.

"All done," said the guard. "You may be on your way, but be careful... the castle is not the same."

Growing more suspicious and aware, Rollan nodded. That's the second person who said that something is not right with Greenhaven.

Essix shrieked again and flew high into the air, staying above Rollan as he made his way up the steps. As he approached the castle doors, he was stopped by two more guards.

"Welcome back, Rollan, summoner of Essix," a woman greeted.

"Yeah, hi. I'd like to enter?" Rollan was unsure what to say, as there wasn't usually this many Greencloaks on guard.

"Yes, we warn you about the castle," the man next to her said.

Rollan sighed. "Yeah, yeah, I heard there's goblins and stuff in there."

The woman frowned. "This isn't a time for jokes, it's serious. Be careful and watch your back."

Rollan almost rolled his eyes. He didn't believe in the supernatural at all, but he also didn't believe in walruses either until he encountered one. He shuddered.