The Lightcloak Queen

The Queen's face stung with an icy chill as she struggled in the snow. Nearby, she could hear her horse picking himself up from the ground and kicking snow off his white pelt. They had been on their morning walk around Lighthaven Castle's perimeter, checking signs of any other stray Lightcloaks, before the snow gave way and they had fallen off a small ledge.

Rising to her feet, she brushed the snow out of her brown hair and picked up her crown. Tero, her spirit animal looked at her with concern.

"I'm all right," she smiled and placed the crown back on her head.

"Queen Katalin!"

Katalin turned around and saw Tembo rushing towards her, his monkey not far behind.

"Are you okay? We saw you and your horse fall," said Tembo as he reached for her arm.

Katalin let him take it. "I'm fine, it's just snow."

"Let's get you back inside the castle, Your Highness," Tembo quickly helped her back on her horse and he escorted her back to the castle's entrance.

Frost covered the stairs, making it slippery. Katalin always looked in awe at the castle. It was almost pure white, blending in with the snow that surrounded it. Even the horses were all white.

Katalin dismounted from her horse and held onto the reins as Tembo led her inside.

"Thank you," Katalin finally said.

Tembo turned his head at her. "For what, my Queen?"

Katalin gently punched him in the arm. "For helping me, silly."

Tembo's face turned red before he awkwardly smiled. "It's nothing, really."

"You're a great friend, and officer," said Katalin.

Tembo's blushing didn't stop as they made their way down the great hall, passing other Lightcloaks who always greeted them, however there weren't many of them. Katalin suddenly remembered that none of them were supposed to be alive. She remembered growing up, but did not know if she ended up having children or anything like that. Her only memories were flooded with the time of the First Devourer War.

And Briggan.

She wondered if the Great Wolf was still alive after all these years.

As Katalin and Tembo entered the room of officers, Yin and Yu were seated around the table.

"Rough morning, was it?" Yin glanced at Tembo.

Katalin led her horse into a corner where warm blankets and pillows covered the floor. Once her horse laid down, she made her way to her seat.

"Just a fall," Tembo replied.

"Falls can be quite fatal," Yu put in. "Queen Katalin is lucky that Arctica is snow... and only snow."

"And water," Yin added.

"It will take some time for all of us to settle in with the cold, especially those of us who never grew up in cold climates," said Katalin, looking at them.

She knew Zhong wasn't a very cold place. The jungles were always hot, Nilo not much better. Arctica would be a very different place to her officers.

"But we're not here to discuss what happened this morning," Katalin reached into her pocket and pulled out a letter with a black wax seal stamp on it in the shape of an N.

"Mail?" Tembo questioned.

Katalin shook her head. "Yes and no. We have been contacted by the Nightcloaks, actually."

"The Nightcloaks!" Yu's eyes were wide. "They are all cursed!"

Katalin glared at Yu. "Cursed or not, they were Greencloaks. Just like us."

Katalin opened the letter and read it to her officers. The letter said:

The Lightcloaks,
We would like to form an alliance with you, as I believe that Greencloaks from the past should not be at war with each other. We can offer you a great deal of supplies if you need them. Please let me know of your answer ASAP.
- The Nightcloaks

The room was quiet for a moment. Katalin knew that her officers didn't trust the Nightcloaks, but she couldn't blame them. Their castle is on Nightshade Island, the most evil place in all of Erdas.

"I want to meet their leader," Katalin said.

"Your Highness, with all respect..." Tembo trailed off, unable to figure out the words.

"I know you think this is a bad idea, but they fought in the Second Devourer War. They still gave their lives for Erdas. I trust them," Katalin put the letter back in her pocket.

"I've heard great tales about that war," Yin said to herself. "The Four Fallen fought in that one too."

Katalin's eyes widened with surprise. "They are alive?"

"Yes, but as spirit animals. Didn't you know?" Yin tilted her head.

Katalin shook her head and gazed up at the chandelier above while the other officers continued their conversation. She was deep in thought, thinking to herself. She wondered how she got chosen to be Queen of the Lightcloaks. Why wasn't Tembo the leader? He was the leader of the Greencloaks in her time, she thought he would better suit the role.

But she was the one chosen. Her crown was attached to her, they were connected. Perhaps it was because of her relationship with Briggan?

"My Queen, you look tired."

It was Tembo who interrupted her thoughts.

"You should get some rest," suggested Yin.

"I can't, I must reply to the Nightcloaks," Katalin said as she stood up.

"You're really going to meet them?" asked Yu with a worried look.

"We have to anyway. They are basically us, but..." Katalin didn't finish.

"We are going to have to meet them sooner or later," said Tembo before turning his gaze to Katalin. "I'll go with you."

Yin and Yu looked at each other, then at Katalin.

"I will write to them, and I will need you," said Katalin, feeling thankful that he would go with her.

Tembo nodded, he would go with her.

~~~

Katalin picked up her quill and gently dipped it into the ink beside her paper. She glanced at her snow owl which was perched on her windowsill that led out into the cold. Tero slept in front of the fireplace, his small body moving with every breath.

Katalin then wrote:

The Nightcloaks,
I would like to meet with your leader on the north Greenhaven border in 10 days. We will discuss further from there.
- The Lightcloak Queen

Taking a deep breath, she carefully folded the letter and placed her white wax seal stamp on it which was in the shape of an L. Katalin rose from her chair and made her way towards the snow owl.

"Take this to Nighthaven, and stay safe."

The owl shrieked and flew off towards the cursed island. In ten days she would finally meet the Nightcloak leader.

Her anxiety rose as she realised that this might be a trap.