Chapter 8

Christopher

After the game, I rushed down to the locker room and took my gear off before hitting the showers. "You good man?" Riley asked as he combed his hair back in front of the mirror. "Yeah, I'm good. Great work out there tonight by the way." I reply heading over to a vacant shower.

"Thanks man, you too. Nice goal by the way, wicked shot you took out there!" Riley replied. "Yeah man, team work makes the dream work right?" I exclaim as I turn the shower on to get the water warmed up. "That's right buddy! Better thank Delaney for that sick pass that got you that goal." Riley smiled before leaving the shower area and heading back to his stall.

******
I stepped back into the locker room that was almost completely empty by the time I got to my spot. I put my shower stuff back into my bag before gathering the rest of my gear that was scattered across the floor. I took a quick glance around the room to see who was still around before my eyes locked on Casey, Riley and Delaney who were laughing about something Casey had just said.

"Alright, catch you guys later! My mom and brothers are waiting in the lobby to see me." Delaney said before she proceeded to say bye to two of my best friends. "Congrats again on that hat trick!" Rye exclaimed. "Thanks Younger!" She smiled before she turned her gaze over in my direction, giving me an awkward wave. "Bye Chris, good game tonight." She said.

Oh shit! She caught me staring at her. Come on man, snap out of it! As she waited a moment to see if I would reply, I snapped myself out of it and threw my skates in my bag, zipping it up before looking up to see if she was still standing there. Dick move Chris! Dick move! I scold myself when I notice she left without my answer.

I've got to work in this whole female teammate thing because right now, I seem to be failing.

"Dude, what's wrong with you? Delaney says bye and good game tonight and all you do is stare at her and ignore her! What's with that man? It's not like you!" Riley scolds me sitting down on the bench and packing up his gear.

"Look, I froze up alright! It was a dick move, I know but I'm working on it. Okay?" I exclaim in reply before picking up my hockey bag and slinging it over my shoulder before leaving the locker room.

******
Later when the elevator doors opened up, I stepped out and made my way down the hall to my apartment. As I walked down the hall, I began to hear voices getting closer. I quickly glanced up and saw a tall guy about 6'3 with light brown hair and a girl about 5'5 with dark brown hair standing in front of one of the apartments.

"Mason, I'll go get it down in the lobby. I'll be fine!" The girl said to the tall guy, who's name I now know is Mason. "Dels, I'm going. You went last time, now it's my turn." He said. As I got to my apartment door, I fiddled with the keys as they clinked together.

"Fine!" The girl said. I pause for a moment and drop my bag to the ground causing it to make a loud thud. "Bro, easy with the gear. Don't want to crack that helmet!" The guy said walking by as I looked up and laughed. "Thanks for the tip bud!" I reply.

"Chris? Is that you?" The girl's voice questioned from a few doors over.

I look up before slowly turning in the girl's direction. How does this girl know my name? And why does her voice sound familiar? I ask myself. And then it clicked...

Ah shit! She lives in my apartment building!

"Delaney?" I reply with a confused look plastered on my face. "You live in this apartment building too?" She asked flashing me a friendly smile which exposes her pearly white teeth. Guess I've got to talk to her now. I say to myself in my thoughts while mentally rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, I've lived here for about 3 years now." I reply as my front door finally agrees to unlock. "I just moved in a couple weeks ago. My brother Mason has a place here so I moved in with him for now until I can find my own place." She replied before looking down at her hands.

"I'm back and I brought pizza!" Mason exclaimed reappearing. "This isn't our apartment. Why are you standing here?" He asked looking at Delaney confused. Me too buddy... I was just thinking the same thing. My inner voice says appearing in my mind again.

"Mason, this is my new teammate and the captain of the Marlies, Christopher Santiago. Chris, this is my oldest brother Mason. He plays for the Leafs." Delaney introduces us as Mason and I exchange a handshake. "Nice to meet you man." He smiles. "Yeah, you too." I reply.

"Hey, you hungry? Why don't you join us for some pizza and drinks?" Mason asks pointing to the box of pizza in his hand. I'm hungry but all I want to to do is grab a small bite to eat and get into bed right now. Hanging out with Delaney and her brother definitely doesn't sound like something I'm in the mood for tonight but I find myself agreeing to his offer anyways.

"Okay, sure."

******
"Saw your goal tonight man, that's a nice shot you've got!" Mason exclaims before taking a swig of beer. "Thanks man." I reply before grabbing my own that sat on the table in front of me.

"I'll be right back. Gotta take this call." Mason said picking up the ringing phone from the coffee table. Great now it's just her and I. What do we talk about now?

I watched as Delaney sat in the arm chair across from me, picking at her nails nervously. "Everything okay?" I found myself asking as she looked up, a shy look on her face. "Yeah it's just..." she began before turning her gaze back to her hands in her lap.

"It's just what?" I asked. "It's just, when I found out that I was going to get traded to a different team, I had all these worries and negative thoughts overwhelming me." She began. "What if my new teammates didn't want a girl to play on their team? What if they don't like me? I'm going to embarrass them! All these thoughts filled my mind but it turns out, it's the total opposite." She finished looking up at me.

I swapped a breath I didn't know I had stuck in my throat as she sat there waiting for my reply. "Look, I know that's a lot to take in and I'm sorry, I shouldn't have ranted like that." She said looking down again.

Great, now I feel like an even bigger dick! This girl jus poured her heart out to me about how she felt during the trade process. Now I'm feeling guilty about how I've been acting towards her since her arrival on the team.