Chapter 24

Christopher

"Let's go boys!" I shout after Delaney scored the opening goal in the first minute of the game. We really need this win tonight to bring us up in the standings if we want to be in the top 3 closer to playoff season. Right now we're sitting in the 5th spot with Chicago who we face again next week.

"Santiago, Lee and Jones, you're up!" Mike shouts patting me on the back before I'm hopping over the boards and into the play followed by Casey and Jason. I skate into the offensive zone and go after the defence man who held possession of the puck. The second he sees me coming, he takes off and makes a long pass to the winger.

"On it! On it!" Casey shouts as Jason rushes over and checks the guy into the boards while Dels skates in and carries the puck up the once towards the Belleville zone. I prepare myself for a pass when I see her look up for someone to pass to.

She whips the puck across from the left wing and the pass lands on my stick. I move in over the blue line and see Casey close to the net and wide open ready to receive a pass for a clear shot. As the opposing players begin to move in on me, I fake a slap shot before passing it to Casey who's ready to rip a one timer.

The second that the puck gets to him, he claps it as hard as he can. The piece of rubber hits the crossbar and the meshing of the net flies up. The ref blows the  whistle and calls it a goal as the fans erupt in cheer and our line skates towards Casey to celebrate.

"Way to go buddy!" I exclaim giving him a hug. "Fuck yeah man!" Riley exclaims. "Nice clapper Case!" Jason shouts. "What a beauty!" Delaney smiles widely at him as we all skate back to the bench.

******
Midway through the second period, Belleville tied it up at two a piece. "Chris, make sure you cover your guy out there so we don't give him any possible scoring chances. Keep up the good work!" Coach says to me as I nod.

The guy I take off skates to the bench as I hop over the boards and into the play at centre ice. The puck gets turned over into our possession now as Delaney takes it off the left winger before moving back into our zone, stick handling the puck and taking her time to give our other forwards the chance to make a quick change.

Once Casey and Jason step onto the ice, Riley skates towards Dels and takes the puck as they switched sides before Riley skates up carrying the puck up the ice. I skate up to the blue line in the opposing zone as Riles brings the puck over the line. He takes a look, passes it to Jason who's covering the front of the net awaiting either for a pass or rebound.

A couple seconds later after digging for the puck, the whistle was blown and the goalie gets up off the puck. "So close buddy. You'll get it soon." I say tapping Jason on the knee with my stick before skating to the dot for face off. 

******

After putting up a fight for three while periods we were still tied this time 3-3. Now we're prepping for overtime. "Okay Chris, and Casey you start with Delaney and Riley on defence." Coach says before quickly showing us something on the white board.

The whistle is blown and we skate to centre ice. I look over at Casey and nod before looking over my shoulder at Delaney. I give her a small smile as she returns the gesture and I take a deep breath.

The puck drops and I win the draw. I play the puck back to Dels as we begin to form a triangle and set up our game plan. We make it into the offensive zone and Delaney somehow still has possession of the puck.

She skates deeper into the zone as I prepare to plant myself in front of the net to screen the goalie. Delaney drops the puck off for Casey to pick up before he skates out towards the blue line. Dels takes my place in front of the next to take over screening the goalie while I skate over to the right side so that car has someone to pass to.

He whips the puck over to me before skating back deep into the left corner. The tall and rough looking right winger comes at me and just as he's two steps away, I take a shot that lands on net but gets bounced off the goalie's pad. I skate in to help Delaney out just as she receives a piece of the puck on the blade of her stick. She takes a shot on net and a few seconds later, she's got one foot in the air and pulls her right arm down towards her.

I skate up to her and so does Casey and Riley. We bring it in for a group huddle as the rest of our team skates out onto the ice and over to us. "Yes! That's what I'm talking about girl!" Jack exclaims.

The two points we got tonight for us a spot for playoffs. "Way to go! That's my girl!" I smile at her as I lean my helmet against hers. "Couldn't have done it without your help." She smiles.

******

"Congratulations Delaney and gentlemen. Thanks to Delaney's OT goal, we've got the points we needed to get us into a playoff spot." Coach mike says as the guys holler and let out loud and excited cheers.

"Alright, that's all I've got to say so get changed and enjoy the rest of your evening! I will be in my office if anyone needs me." Mike says before disappearing.

Okay, shower time then it's off to dinner with Dels, Morgie and my dad. Morgan's definitely going to be excited the second she meets my girl and I already have a feeling they're going to get along just fine.

******

"Dad, how's it going?" I ask approaching him and Morgan. "Great game tonight son!" He says as I give him a quick hug. I watch as Morgan stands on her tippy toes to look around me. "Uh Morgs, I'm right here you know." I say.

"I know, I see you. But where's Delaney? That's who I'm waiting for." She says. "She's talking to her parents and brothers before they head out." I reply.

Just as if on cue, Delaney appears next to me and wraps one hand around my arm while intertwining our hands together. "Oh my God! She's even prettier in person!" Morgan squeals once she sees Delaney standing at my side.

"Dad, Morgan, this is Delaney. My girlfriend." I say as Morgan's jaw drops and my dad shakes her hand. "Nice to meet you Delaney. Christopher has told us lots about you." He says. "You better close your mouth Morgs, you'll catch flies if you don't." I laugh.

"I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I totally knew you had a thing for her!" Morgan exclaims a couple seconds after. "Nice to meet you and nice to meet you too Morgan. I've heard quite a lot about you from your brother." Delaney smiles.

"Oh my god, Delaney I'm literally a huge fan! I can't believe I'm meeting you right now! This is crazy!" Morgan freaks out. "And so I've heard." Delaney laughs.

"Alright, why don't we go for dinner yeah?" I ask as the three of them all agree.